10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Sulcata is the third.
Aldabra
Galapagos
Sulcata
There have been a few giant yellowfoots, but I have to give it to the leopards. I saw a SA leo that was 28" and very high domed. Those Etheopian leopards supposedly get over 30" too. All very debatable.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Manouria emys phayrei ya wanna fight?

ForestExotics

10 Year Member!
USA
Tom said:
Sulcata is the third.
Aldabra
Galapagos
Sulcata
There have been a few giant yellowfoots, but I have to give it to the leopards. I saw a SA leo that was 28" and very high domed. Those Etheopian leopards supposedly get over 30" too. All very debatable.

I would love to see a giant yellowfoot.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
From another thread where we had a conversation on what tortoises are the three largest -

egyptiandan said:
If you want to do maximum length,

Sulcata...............33.26 inches
Yellowfoot...........32.28 inches (I have heard of a 36 inch male that would make Yellowfoots the biggest)
Leopard..............30.70 inches
Bolson................26.77 inches
Asian Mountain....25 inches

If you want to do maximum weight,

Sulcata............232 lbs (264 lbs in captivity)
Yellowfoot........129 lbs
Leopard............123 lbs
Asian Mountain....65 lbs
Bolson................45 lbs

Danny

emysemys said:
Manouria emys phayrei ya wanna fight?

LMAO!!!!!! :D :D :D

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
Some of the Leopards get pretty big.Amazon basin YF are supposedly big also..maybe emys.

GotTurtles

10 Year Member!
Fresno, Ca
I always heard the yellowfoot was the fourth largest. I have seen pictures of a huge one but no way of telling how big it really was.

-ryan-

5 Year Member
Obviously the galapagos and aldabra are going to be the largest, but to me it sounds like we are talking about mainland tortoises, so I would have to agree with Egyptiandan.

Keep in mind, there are two very different types of yellowfooted tortoises. There are the ones that we see in the pet trade which fall between Leopards and red foots in terms of size/weight, but there are also the amazon basin giant yellowfooted tortoises which get large enough to compete with the sulcatas.

The difference between the two is rather stunning: http://markmlucas.com/images/Tortoises/yellow foot 11 copy.jpg

note: I'm including this link only because it is the best available picture demonstrating the difference between the two variations of yellow footed tortoise.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
Man, a 264lb Sulcata!!!!!..That's a big boy/girl...Starting to see some of the Amazon basin YF for sale.I wonder if there will be a lot of hybrids like ya see in the leopards.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I once had a 75 pound Leopard (wc) and a large Yellow Foot (28 in wc) the leopard was high domed and the yellow foot was long.Never weighed the yellow foot and never measured the leopard as I can remember. Here are a couple pics of the Yellow foot,somewhere I have a pic of the leopard but can't find it.These pics were taken in1973 and 2010. Len

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
hope you find that leopard picture Len.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.