What is the kind of Leopard tortoise on attached picture?

Artemida

5 Year Member
Dear Friends,

Today I found from internet that there is few kinds of Leopard Tortoises available: Leopard Tortoise(Geochelone pardalis babcocki) and South African Giant Leopard Tortoises (Geochelone Pardalis pardalis).

But i did not understand the difference exept size in grown state. Can anybody explain me the difference with pictures? Attached few pictures of leopard tortoises. Please advice what kind is it on the pictures.

:)

1.jpg2.jpg7.jpg8.jpg10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
I'm sure Tom will chime in, he breeds some nice ones...
But all I can say is that GPP have very outgoing, Sulcata like temperaments...are curious, friendly...and the Babcocki are referred to as "pretty rocks".

I plan to add a GPP to my family in the next few years. But I gotta get moved and then I'm getting an Aldabra. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GROWING HEART]

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
Artemida said:
Dear Friends,

Today I found from internet that there is few kinds of Leopard Tortoises available: Leopard Tortoise(Geochelone pardalis babcocki) and South African Giant Leopard Tortoises (Geochelone Pardalis pardalis).

But i did not understand the difference exept size in grown state. Can anybody explain me the difference with pictures? Attached few pictures of leopard tortoises. Please advice what kind is it on the pictures.

:)

the differences between the two subspecies Pardalis and Babcocki are that the Pardalis get bigger, are a little more outgoing, and are considered to be better-looking (although i dont really agree).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The pardalis pardalis usually have two spots on the scutes, where the babcocki will have one or none. Not sure if the PP can have none, but I believe they can.

Those look to be PP. Also, PP have speckled skin.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
I don't believe that pretty rock part for a second! My Olive took some time to warm up, but she's been very outgoing for the past 9 months (got her just over a year ago). I will say that she's not terribly head friendly, but neither is my younger redfoot (but my older one is all about the neck rubs).

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Mgridgaway said:
I don't believe that pretty rock part for a second! My Olive took some time to warm up, but she's been very outgoing for the past 9 months (got her just over a year ago). I will say that she's not terribly head friendly, but neither is my younger redfoot (but my older one is all about the neck rubs).

[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]