What is the right amount to feed a juvenile?

destortoise

Location (City and/or State)
VA and WA
Hi folks,

I have a brand new baby red-foot named Squash about 3-4 months old. Took initial measurements of 47 grams and 5.5 cm in plastron length. My question today has to do with diet: how often should I be feeding a young tortoise? I fed Squash a palm sized amount of spring mix/mazuri yesterday. There is a lot of conflicting material online about how often and how much I should be feeding a young tort. Many people say every other day. Others say three times a week and some people say everyday.

What is your "right" formula?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises are grazing animals. They should be fed as much of the right foods as they want daily and, of course, they need to be housed correctly.

Two examples:
Right = a young sulcata out in a grassy weedy large enclosure during warm weather. He's got plenty of room to roam, temps are good, he's well hydrated due to our hypothetical person caring for him correctly and he's eating as much of the right foods as he cares to stuff into his belly all day long.
Wrong = The same sulcata in a 10 gallon tank with a red heat lamp and fed some grocery store romaine lettuce every other day or two.

To do it "right", I think all things must be considered. Not just quantity and frequency of food.

destortoise

VA and WA
Tortoises are grazing animals. They should be fed as much of the right foods as they want daily and, of course, they need to be housed correctly.

Two examples:
Right = a young sulcata out in a grassy weedy large enclosure during warm weather. He's got plenty of room to roam, temps are good, he's well hydrated due to our hypothetical person caring for him correctly and he's eating as much of the right foods as he cares to stuff into his belly all day long.
Wrong = The same sulcata in a 10 gallon tank with a red heat lamp and fed some grocery store romaine lettuce every other day or two.

To do it "right", I think all things must be considered. Not just quantity and frequency of food.

I do understand that it's not just about quantity but quality, and I think I have the quality part down--I will provide a variety of greens and mixes and weeds the occasional fruit. But I need to know what amount is overfeeding? Do I just leave a bit out every day and let Squash take care of it at his/her own pace?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I think what Tom is trying to say is that as long as your tortoise has access to the right foods and is in a proper enclosure than you cannot overfeed him. By the way, Squash is a cute name :)

destortoise

VA and WA
I think what Tom is trying to say is that as long as your tortoise has access to the right foods and is in a proper enclosure than you cannot overfeed him. By the way, Squash is a cute name :)

Alright... I am just scared for possible pyramiding. And thank you :)

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
As long as you have your tort on a good diet and in the right set up than you won't have to worry about pyramiding:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Alright... I am just scared for possible pyramiding. And thank you :)

Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. NOT by food.

The trick with raising RFs is to keep it humid, but not so wet that they get shell rot, which RFs are so prone too in wet conditions. Carapace spraying really helps with RFs too, so I am told by the man who introduced me to the concept.

Using a closed chamber helps with all this.