What to Feed My Burmese Tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nano

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am just wondering if anyone could share their feeding plans for their Burmese Mountain Tortoise. I am wondering what kinds of fruits veggies, and what type of feeding schedule everyone finds successful?

My hatchling is only 6 weeks old or so, and I want to do everything right for the little guy (Othello)

Also, can Mazuri pellets be fed to them? What about the new Forest Tortoise Food from ZooMed?

How often should I be giving him calcium? Vitamin Supplement?

Should I use a UV light on him? I have heard some people say that they don't need it. I live in Alberta, Canada, and it gets cold here int he winter, so he won't have much access to natural light until the spring time!

Thanks in Advance!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Mazuri was formulated for grassland tortoises and MEPs and MEEs being forest tortoises I feel it is not suitable for them. The ZooMed Forest Tortoise Food and ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food are the same, just the label changes. For diet I feed 3/7 greens (collards, mustard, turnip, ect.), 3/7 fruit (berries, melon, soft fruits such as peaches or plums, tropical fruits not bannanas when available), 1/7 protein source (i.e. low fat catfood) . Squash is also relished. Once a week phophorus free calcium powder (check out health food store). As a forest tort UV light is not needed, just the ambient light in room.

nano

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks!

What type/brand of cat food do you use?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Purina Pro Plan low fat.

Status