What is this?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
A nightshade. We have a native purple nightshade in California, Will.

Too bad; there won’t be many weeds this year. No rain. :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A nightshade. We have a native purple nightshade in California, Will.

Too bad; there won’t be many weeds this year. No rain. :(

It rains on my weeds almost every day!

Its good to have a well. :) And some hoses and sprinkler heads...

I have this problem most years. The first rain in winter makes all the weed seeds sprout, then, if it doesn't rain again soon enough, they all dry up and die. So I have to irrigate if there is too much time between rains and if the weather is warm and sunny. I've had to water all my weeds an awful lot this year… That is why I was hoping that this "wild" weed might have been something edible. No such luck.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

I have this problem most years. The first rain in winter makes all the weed seeds sprout, then, if it doesn't rain again soon enough, they all dry up and die. So I have to irrigate if there is too much time between rains and if the weather is warm and sunny. I've had to water all my weeds an awful lot this year… That is why I was hoping that this "wild" weed might have been something edible. No such luck.

At least they’re kinda pretty? Lol

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California

I am having this same "lack of rain" problem. The mallow that is usually so plentiful this time of year is scarce. The past couple of winters mallow has been a diet mainstay for my sulcata. Its a good thing that I have plenty of chicory.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am having this same "lack of rain" problem. The mallow that is usually so plentiful this time of year is scarce. The past couple of winters mallow has been a diet mainstay for my sulcata. Its a good thing that I have plenty of chicory.
Yeah… I've been working overtime getting all my planters tilled and ready to go early this year. I was going to plant next week, but now it looks like we've got a cold spell coming. FIrst time this winter the temperature is dropping...