What kind of bedding should i use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

megoon

5 Year Member
I've had my tortoise for about seven months, and I've always kept sand in his tank as bedding. Is this a bad thing to do? I heard that wood chips aren't safe so I just stuck with the sand.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
What kind or tortoise is it? Sand is bad. I like coconut fiber, but it depends on the type of tortoise.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I dont do sand because I fear them eating it and getting impacted especially if it is a baby (if thats what you have). I recommend cypress mulch because it holds moisture really well and doesnt smell bad. What kind of tortoise do you have?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I like coconut coir. Doesn't mold and holds moisture well. Some also mix it with the cypress mulch. Sand is bad. However some use it mixed with cypress, more cypress then sand. Best though if we know what kind of tort and the age.
Also, WELCOME:D

Machin

5 Year Member
This is useful! I was going to have a sand area for mine but think I will try something else.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi megoon:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

We'll need to know what kind of tortoise you have before we can give you a good answer to that question, however, I can tell you that sand is not a good choice. And as for bark...well, it depends upon what type of bark you're talking about. Fir bark is ok, cypress mulch is ok.

megoon

5 Year Member
My name's Megan and I live in Las Vegas. I have no idea what kind of tortoise he is, honestly. He's a baby, still small enough to stand on the palm of my hand (and I have small hands). The only bark I have available is just bark from petsmart.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Megan:

Its very important that we identify this baby for you. Different types of tortoise take much different types of care. If you don't care for him right, he will get sick and die, very quickly.

Go to photobucket.com and download their free program. Once you have it installed on your computer, then add your pictures to the program. When you want to bring one of the pictures over here to the forum, you scroll down the picture and a bunch of letters and numbers will appear. Right click on the code and it automatically copies it into your computer. Then come to the forum and right click again in your post and select paste. The picture will still look like a string of numbers and letters, but when you send the post, it changes to your picture.

Please do this, because I fear for your baby tortoise's life.

megoon

5 Year Member
How would I go about finding out what kind of tortoise he is!?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Post a picture, someone will ID him eventually.

megoon

5 Year Member
That's Ramsay. Please help me identify what kind of tortoise he is!

Attachments

• image-1027058106.png
    image-1027058106.png
    174.5 KB · Views: 9

megoon

5 Year Member
I posted a picture but I can't tell if it posted.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Megan:

If it posted you would be able to see it. Did you use photobucket.com like I suggested?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
I Use coconut fiber :)
Holds in humidity great and is great if my litttle guy wants to burrow or dig around :)

megoon

5 Year Member
I don't know how to upload a photo from photobucket. I'm doing this all from my phone.

megoon

5 Year Member
_megoon

http://s1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/_megoon/?action=view&current=photo.jpg

megoon

5 Year Member
Well, what do I need to take care of a desert tortoise? Right now, I have a tank of sand, a heating pad, a house I made him with a food dish and a water dish. I've been feeding him pellets with nutrients and I have a UV lamp for him to bask. Any other suggestions?

M

Maggie Cummings

Get rid of the sand it causes impaction. Use cypress mulch or coconut coir. Keep in mind that if you don't know what species he is you won't know how to care for him correctly. Different torts require different care. As experienced I am I always get confused between desert torts and Sulcata. You can feed them the same way tho. But I would suggest to stop feeding pellets and get some Spring Mix from the store then cut it up kinda small for his small mouth. Where did you get him? From a store or did you find him walking around? Welcome to the forum...

megoon

5 Year Member
I water down his pellets for him. I got him as a birthday present from a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.