What kind of tortoise Is this?

Laurensz

Hey guys, i have 2 tortoises but i am not really sure what kind it is.
I thought that it were yellow-foot baby tortoises but i was not really sure.
Here are what pics

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
I can't quite see the nose scales clearly, but the carapace screams redfoot to me. Very unusual head scales though - beautiful!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm guessing this is a redfooted tortoise mainly because of the oval face scale right over the nostrils.

Have you had a chance to peruse the Tortoise Library ? The info there on RF tortoises has either been compiled or written by one of our moderators - Madkins007.

Laurensz

Hey guys.. The weird thing is that these tortoises have yellow feet and they look a like a redfoot o_O
I dont know what they are but i am going to worry about the diet, is it possible that the Redfoot and the yellowfoot parents went mating and that there is a yellowred-foot is hatched??

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. I don't know a lot about Redfoot tortoises or yellow foots for that matter :) but I do know that both of them can have red and yellow coloring on them. It sounds like you were given the answer up above, something to do with the head shape and scales. It is a very cute tortoise whatever it is.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hey guys, i have 2 tortoises but i am not really sure what kind it is.
I thought that it were yellow-foot baby tortoises but i was not really sure.
Here are what pics

View attachment 138848 View attachment 138849 View attachment 138850 View attachment 138851
It's an obvious redfoot, Chelonoidis carbonarius. It is very simple to tell the difference between a redfoot and a yellowfoot. The inguinal (groin)
scutes of a redfoot are more pronounced. Just flip them over.

M

Maggie Cummings

Welcome to the forum. I don't know anything about that species, but I do know your substrate is not good for them. Go to our Redfoot thread and read the care sheet. That will really help you to understand how to care for them. And please keep asking questions. We have very experienced keepers and they can really help you.
If you ever get a Sulcata let me know, I can help you then...:p

glaerey

5 Year Member
It's an obvious redfoot, Chelonoidis carbonarius. It is very simple to tell the difference between a redfoot and a yellowfoot. The inguinal (groin)
scutes of a redfoot are more pronounced. Just flip them over.

good info! and yellows have tiny teeth at the edge of their carapace that's why the name denticula.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Hey guys.. The weird thing is that these tortoises have yellow feet and they look a like a redfoot o_O
I dont know what they are but i am going to worry about the diet, is it possible that the Redfoot and the yellowfoot parents went mating and that there is a yellowred-foot is hatched??

It's unlikely a hybrid. Yellow legs are quite common on redfoots. The colouring often indicates the local the parents are from - the Colombians, for instance, rarely show red on their head or limbs. Since you got yours on a Caribbean island (right?), I would imagine the colouring is representative of some local breeding population. One of the experts here may be familiar with the Caribbean groups of redfoots.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Sorry - do not know, am not an expert.

Whatever species your tort is , it is really cute.

Last edited by a moderator:

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Redfoot! Are you on an island? Is it one of the Virgin Islands? I know that there is a colony on St. John's.