what kind of tortoise is this?

vikasra

Hi All, I have recently got a tortoise for my son as a pet. I wanted to ensure that we take good care of the little one and hence joined this forum. As I am new to caring for and understanding the needs of the tortoise, I hope to learn from the posts and advise from all of you on this forum.

I guess the first thing is to identify the type of tortoise I have and then research a bit about it. The pet shop I got the tortoise from was not very well aware of the type. Internet posts are a bit confusing as well.
Is there any recommended links I can review for help in this regards? Our tortoise is about 2.5inch long, so perhaps in the early stages of its life.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hi, again.
Look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
to begin as this is useful for pretty much any species.
Our species specific section contains care sheets on each species as well as photos from members of their tortoises.
Which country are you in ?
This may help narrow the field in regards to which species are usually for sale.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
If you aren't able to share pictures giving a description may help, as will your location.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since you're in Dubai, it could possibly be an Egyptian (Testudo kleinmanni), or a Greek (Testuco greca). But we'll need to see pictures to know for sure.