what kind of wood for outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

philthyturtle

5 Year Member
i been wanting to make an outdoor enclosure for my boxie, but id like to hear peoples input on the type of wood to use. anyone?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
philthyturtle said:
i been wanting to make an outdoor enclosure for my boxie, but id like to hear peoples input on the type of wood to use. anyone?

What part of the enclosure is it for? if it is for the barrier portion, a lot of us just use cinder blocks becuase they are inexpensive and sometimes easier to work with..

philthyturtle

5 Year Member
i dont want to use cinderblocks because then i wont be able to move it as easily

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
For small enclosure's I just use 1x6in x6ft fence boards sold at Home Depot or Lowes. I saw an ad from Home Depot they are $1.39 ea in my area. Len

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Anything that's not cedar, pine or any wood that has a fragrance to it.. since the oils in them can harm their eyes and I think mess up their breathing?

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Pine contains oils that is toxic to many turtles and tortoises which is why it should be avoided. I like using landscape timbers that I buy from Lowes, they are something like $2.50 each. They are cheap, heavy duty, and pressure treated which keeps the wood from deteriorating.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I used pine 2x12s for my outdoor enclosure. I think avoiding pine for INDOOR enclosures might be a good guideline, but for outdoor your tort is not going to notice the aromatics of pine.
AND I wonder how natural pine could be bad but pressure treated is OK?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Phil:

Any lumber that you buy has been kiln dried, which means the oils are no longer a problem. You can use any lumber outdoors you want to use.

My box turtle pen is made out of grape stakes. As you may or may not know, grape stakes are made out of redwood, one of the most aromatic woods there is.

I set some 4x4's about 8' apart and put a 2x4 on top of them, making a frame. Then I dig a little trench all along in front of the frame. I pound the grape stakes down into the dirt in the trench and screw them at the 2x4. Then I push the dirt back up against the bottom of the stakes. They usually end up being around 5" or so down into the ground.

Here's a picture:

boxturtlepen-1.jpg

boxturtlepen-2.jpg

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Ah I forgot about the drying process! Ok I take back what I said :( sorry for the wrong information!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Just make sure what ever supports your attaching the wood to is not spread to far apart.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
You can paint it... but be very careful about the type of paint is used... or you can use marine resin that would seal it up well. Just make sure whichever method you use that everything has a few days to dry and air out. These are just some of my ideas :)

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Here's a pic of a simple enclosure that is used on warm sunny days for some young torts.I used 3 fence boards and drywall screws the corner caps help keep it square.I have (knock on wood) never had a warping problem with fence boards after they are screwed or nailed together. If need be you can go 2 boards high. Len

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
We use all pressure treated wood for all except the hatchlings, we use regular non-treated wood. My thoughts on cement is it will scratch and scuff up the tortoise shells, wood is way more forgiving.

23rwj68.jpg

philthyturtle

5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:
We use all pressure treated wood for all except the hatchlings, we use regular non-treated wood. My thoughts on cement is it will scratch and scuff up the tortoise shells, wood is way more forgiving.

why regular wood for the hatchlings? is there any particular reason for that?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
philthyturtle said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

why regular wood for the hatchlings? is there any particular reason for that?

Just as a precaution due to the chemicals used in the PT. Next year I am going to use that plastic wood for our hatchlings. Expensive, but I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.