Making a Tortoise Habitat

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabfourgirl1964

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Can anyone tell me what kind of wood is safe for a Russian Tortoise? I want to use plywood for the bottom and sides. What kind of wood is safe? Also, would a wood enclosure be too dry? How do you waterproof the bottom? Currently, I have a large rubbermaid tub for him and would like something bigger. We have too many predators outside to make an outdoor enclosure!

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
As long as it's not cedar you should be good. If you can find a good marine sealant they work pretty well or even better is this stuff called melamine (sp?). It's a particle board with a white coating on it that's VERY durable. I had a Sulcata several years ago with an enclosure floor made of that stuff and he never made a dent (he was only 6 inches or so).

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
I'm also trying to build a tortoise table before I get my hachling yellow footed tortoises I'm getting one for sure might get two but I've read a lot about pairing and how it might not be good but in some cases it works out okay. But that is a different question I'm really looking for help to build my own enclosure I seen a good one on a thread with two rubber made bins with one wall cut out in each bin joining them together looked great but I want to build something big even though they are hatchings(will they stress if its too big? What should the max size be?) I was looking to build a table out of wood as well using ply wood and a pool liner to make it water proof and add a drain so I'd sloop it slightly to one side to help with draining also pool liner is fairly cheap but as it would be my first enclosuree I'd like help and sugestions

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As big as you can go it always better. There is no too big. Plastic, shower liner, pond liner, pool liner, water proof paint, etc. can be used to water proof the enclosure. The plastic totes put together work great to. I did the totes and made a tunnel between the two.

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
I just got a HUGE sheet of plywood and cut 1 foot off all the sides and the left over was my bottom and the parts I cut became my walls. I lined mine with a few shower curtains I ducked taped together and it was big enough that it bend up the wall a few inches and then I added like 3-4 inches of substrate on top. I did seals my walls because I spray water in there everyday. An open top table will lose humidity VERY fast especially with those heat lamps. So if u need high humidity then build it with higher walls so you can put a top on it. Good luck! :)

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Q

That is a pretty amazing idea the shower curtain dollar store item water prof never thought of it. What I'm thinking about doing is using half skids (36 inches w by 22 tall) taking a piece of ply wood to place on top and making my walls 8 inches high for an even 3 foot tall table and with the new shower curtain idea I line it that way I want to install a drain value as well to make it easy to clean. Ill be housing yellow footed tortoise. What are some suggestions and/or considerations for me with the habitat substance and ways to set it up. It will be kept in my living room but I do have 3 kids (4.5yr 2.5yr and a 3 month old) will it cause to much stress for a hatchling being in a high traffic area? Or should I make it taller so the kids can't look over into it?

Also I have considered doing the walls a foot high and then putting one side with plexy glass and screen top however I like the open table top idea. Is there any reason I should go with a more enclosed set up or is the open table top okay? Any tips or help is welcome

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
Rover15 said:
Q

That is a pretty amazing idea the shower curtain dollar store item water prof never thought of it. What I'm thinking about doing is using half skids (36 inches w by 22 tall) taking a piece of ply wood to place on top and making my walls 8 inches high for an even 3 foot tall table and with the new shower curtain idea I line it that way I want to install a drain value as well to make it easy to clean. Ill be housing yellow footed tortoise. What are some suggestions and/or considerations for me with the habitat substance and ways to set it up. It will be kept in my living room but I do have 3 kids (4.5yr 2.5yr and a 3 month old) will it cause to much stress for a hatchling being in a high traffic area? Or should I make it taller so the kids can't look over into it?

Also I have considered doing the walls a foot high and then putting one side with plexy glass and screen top however I like the open table top idea. Is there any reason I should go with a more enclosed set up or is the open table top okay? Any tips or help is welcome

If you need high humidity, an enclosed set up is the best way to go. Add clear walls and top if you want a good view. I don't own a yellow foot tort so I can't say what is best for it. I personally would keep my torts in a separate peaceful room. That way all the noise, lights, and visitors at different times of the day and night wont bother the tort.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
If you need high humidity, an enclosed set up is the best way to go. Add clear walls and top if you want a good view. I don't own a yellow foot tort so I can't say what is best for it. I personally would keep my torts in a separate peaceful room. That way all the noise, lights, and visitors at different times of the day and night wont bother the tort.
[/quote]

What types of torts do you have? And yes yellow footed torts need high humidity 70 range is natural

Status
Not open for further replies.