what should i do?

JasperFossils

Location (City and/or State)
Holland
Hello guys,

I have 3 THB and 1 russian living toghether. I know that you all said earlier it wasnt smart to do it. Now, because i know that i have 1 male THB and my russian is female, my parents allowed me to not put them together anymore. I do have some questions:

Should i put my male alone or my russian?
Can russians live solitary? Or is this diffrent for each individual?

gr. Jasper

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello guys,

I have 3 THB and 1 russian living toghether. I know that you all said earlier it wasnt smart to do it. Now, because i know that i have 1 male THB and my russian is female, my parents allowed me to not put them together anymore. I do have some questions:

Should i put my male alone or my russian?
Can russians live solitary? Or is this diffrent for each individual?

gr. Jasper
All tortoises would prefer to live separately.

That being said, I would recommend separating your female Russian from the three THB so that you do not accidentally produce hybrid tortoises. The THB trio can be left together (theoretically), but if the male starts really pestering the females, you may need to separate him from them which will leave you with another undesirable situation: namely keeping just the two females together. When only two tortoises are kept together, one inevitably becomes dominant and stresses and bullies the other one.

Check this post to see an example of what happens when two tortoises are kept together: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-pairs.154056/

Last edited:

JasperFossils

Holland
All tortoises would prefer to live separately.

That being said, I would recommend separating your female Russian from the three THB so that you do not accidentally produce hybrid tortoises. The THB trio can be left together (theoretically), but if the male starts really pestering the females, you may need to separate him from them which will leave you with another undesirable situation: namely keeping just the two females together. When only two tortoises are kept together, one inevitably becomes dominant and stresses and bullies the other one.

Check this post to see an example of what happens when two tortoises are kept together: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-pairs.154056/
i found a guy, he said that until around may, he keeps the russians and the THB seperated, and after that, he puts the females together, and puts the male in solitary.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i found a guy, he said that until around may, he keeps the russians and the THB seperated, and after that, he puts the females together, and puts the male in solitary.
You can find lots of people doing all sorts of things that are wrong. Don't take that as a reason to do what they are doing. Species should NEVER be mixed. The Russian needs its own housing separate and away from the others.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What's a THB? Anyway. My idea is for you to give away one of the THBs. Then you will have 2 separate and happy tortoises.

Reactions: Ink

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What's a THB? Anyway. My idea is for you to give away one of the THBs. Then you will have 2 separate and happy tortoises.
Tammy!!! It's 3 THBs! Try again.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Right. Just let the Russian have its own separate enclosure.

zovick

10 Year Member!
THB is short for Testudo hermanni boettgeri, the Eastern Hermann's Tortoise.