Looks female to me

i hope she is iv called her taloolah belle lol

i hope she is female cos iv called her taloolah belle lol

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

When I 1st saw the half colored scutes, my 1st thought was "Thats not a African Spur thighed (Sulcata)... that's a Marginated but no one else has said this and I'm not that good at identifying species other than the ones I have... but I'll stick with my 1st Thought and say you have a female Marginated. (It might be a hybrid like previously mentioned, if so, Mother or Father was a Marginated.

annehaw

5 Year Member
england
Zamric said:
Welcome to the Forum!

When I 1st saw the half colored scutes, my 1st thought was "Thats not a African Spur thighed (Sulcata)... that's a Marginated but no one else has said this and I'm not that good at identifying species other than the ones I have... but I'll stick with my 1st Thought and say you have a female Marginated. (It might be a hybrid like previously mentioned, if so, Mother or Father was a Marginated.

im not really bothered what she is but i would like to make sure im doing all the right things for her species. i put pics of her belly and back legs on but im still no nearer to identifying her. she might just be talulah belle tortoise lol

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
annehaw said:
annehaw said:
:tort:hi im new to this. iinherited a tortoise which i was told was an african spur thigh. but iv now been told that its a hermanns or a marginated i hope someone can help. thankyou. i think iv uploaded a photo but i cant see it.
It's neither a Hermann's or Marginated. It is a Ibera Greek tortoise, Testudo (gracea) ibera. They are often called Spur-thigh or Spur-thighed tortoises. This is because of two or conical scales or "spurs" found the back of their rear legs between the back of their knee and tail.
There has been some confusion the past few years with the common name of Greeks and Sulcata. Greeks have been commonly named Spur-thighed tortoises for decades. Sulcata were always called just Spurred tortoise until very recently. Many people have recently been calling them Spur-thighed rather than Spurred tortoises, making identification by common name even more confusing. That is the primary reason that it is best to learn and use the scientific name of a species when seeking help or advice if possible.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi annehaw:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Is your name "Anne?"

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

annehaw

5 Year Member
england
emysemys said:
Hi annehaw:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Is your name "Anne?"

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

hiya yes my name is anne and im from oswaldtwistle lancashire uk

GBtortoises said:
annehaw said:
annehaw said:
:tort:hi im new to this. iinherited a tortoise which i was told was an african spur thigh. but iv now been told that its a hermanns or a marginated i hope someone can help. thankyou. i think iv uploaded a photo but i cant see it.
It's neither a Hermann's or Marginated. It is a Ibera Greek tortoise, Testudo (gracea) ibera. They are often called Spur-thigh or Spur-thighed tortoises. This is because of two or conical scales or "spurs" found the back of their rear legs between the back of their knee and tail.
There has been some confusion the past few years with the common name of Greeks and Sulcata. Greeks have been commonly named Spur-thighed tortoises for decades. Sulcata were always called just Spurred tortoise until very recently. Many people have recently been calling them Spur-thighed rather than Spurred tortoises, making identification by common name even more confusing. That is the primary reason that it is best to learn and use the scientific name of a species when seeking help or advice if possible.

she has no spurs. i have put some pics of her belly and back on

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
"she has no spurs."

Yes, actually she does have spurs. I can clearly see them in one of your photos of the rear view of your tortoise. The spurs on a Greek tortoise are not like that of a roosters. Their not a claw. They are small, hard, conical shaped scales that protrude slightly from the other smaller surrounding scales on the rear of the thigh (hence the common name "Spur-thighed"). This is a characteristic of all Greek species and subspecies. Generally, there is one on each thigh but quite frequently some tortoises will have one thigh with one spur and the other with none or two per thigh. But there is generally always at least one spur on at least one of the back of one of the thighs. Based on your photos there is no doubt that your tortoise is a purebred Ibera Greek tortoise, Testudo (gracea) ibera. Several common names are used to decribe the species: Greek, Ibera Greek, Mediterranean Greek & Spur-thighed are among the most common.

The photo below shows the spur as well as other identifying features such as tail shape, hinged plastron, and plastral scute configuration.
http://s637.photobucket.com/albums/uu99/GBtortoises/?action=view&current=P3270198.jpg

annehaw

5 Year Member
england
GBtortoises said:
"she has no spurs."

Yes, actually she does have spurs. I can clearly see them in one of your photos of the rear view of your tortoise. The spurs on a Greek tortoise are not like that of a roosters. Their not a claw. They are small, hard, conical shaped scales that protrude slightly from the other smaller surrounding scales on the rear of the thigh (hence the common name "Spur-thighed"). This is a characteristic of all Greek species and subspecies. Generally, there is one on each thigh but quite frequently some tortoises will have one thigh with one spur and the other with none or two per thigh. But there is generally always at least one spur on at least one of the back of one of the thighs. Based on your photos there is no doubt that your tortoise is a purebred Ibera Greek tortoise, Testudo (gracea) ibera. Several common names are used to decribe the species: Greek, Ibera Greek, Mediterranean Greek & Spur-thighed are among the most common.

The photo below shows the spur as well as other identifying features such as tail shape, hinged plastron, and plastral scute configuration.
http://s637.photobucket.com/albums/uu99/GBtortoises/?action=view&current=P3270198.jpg
thankyou

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Welcome:) Very pretty tort. Please continue to explore the form and ask questions. You will learn fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.