What sub-specie are my Horsfield tortoises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evie

5 Year Member
Hi, can someone please tell me what sub-specie Molly and Trevor are?
Also, does Trevor look in good health as we picked him up a couple of weeks ago and not sure at all of his previous owners as we never met them so didn't no anything about what he ate before he came to us!

Trevor:
torts 002.jpg
torts 003.jpg

Molly:
torts 006.jpg
torts 007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Hi Evie,

Oh, they have nice colors!

Here is the thread that explains how to distinguish among the three subspecies of Russian tortoise:
"Russian subspecies"

Testudo horsfieldi horsfieldi:
Carapace is slightly domed when looking from the side
Carapace is round when looking down on it

Testudo horsfieldi rustamovi:
Carapace is slightly domed when looking from the side
Carapace is slightly elongated when looking down on it

Testudo horsfieldi kazachstanica:
Carapace is flattened when looking from the side
Carapace is round when looking down on it

Both of your tortoises have a roundish shape from a bird's-eye view, so that means they are either T. h. horsfieldi, or T. h. kazachstanica.

Looking at them from the side is a bit more challenging, partly because those photos are not perfect profile shots. Moreover, these tortoises appear to have a little bit of pyramiding, which alters their shape. Did you get them at the same time from the same place? If so, they likely originate from the same population in Central Asia, and may even be closely related to each other. However, Trevor's carapace appears somewhat flattened, while Molly's is a little bit domed. Based on that alone, I would have identified Trevor as belonging T. h. kazachstanica, and Molly to T. h. horsfieldi. I suspect, however, that Trevor's shell growth has been stunted somewhat, so it probably could have been a bit more domed as well.

Therefore, I think Trevor belongs to T. h. horsfieldi, like Molly, and may even be related to her to one degree or another.

BTW - The same word, "subspecies" is both singular and plural.

Evie

5 Year Member
Is there any reason why his shell growth has been stunted?
Thanks

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Evie said:
Is there any reason why his shell growth has been stunted?
Thanks

It depends largely on husbandry:

1) Diet - A Russian tortoise should be eating primarily leafy greens, along with quality brand name food (Mazuri Tortoise Diet or ZooMed Grassland Food) and flower petals. Fruits and invertebrates should only be offered rarely (no more than once per month). The diet should also be rich in calcium and vitamin D3. Skin also automatically makes its own vitamin D3 when exposed to UVB light, either from a special bulb or from natural sunlight. Without these factors, the underlying bone might grow to fast and not be dense enough, and the liver and kidneys could be strained, too.

2) Humidity - Although Russians are adapted to a semi-arid habitat with a humidity level of around 40%, they still need a moist substrate that can create a humid microclimate for them when they burrow into it. Without the right humidity, the scutes on the shell could grow too fast and tall, leading to pyramiding.

3) Exercise - Tortoises need a chance to move around so they can be fit, just like us. They need not only a large enclosure, but also time outside whenever possible. Without these things, their bone density can decrease, and so can the condition of the skeleton, including the limbs and shell.

How have your tortoises been kept so far? Can some improvement be made in one or more of that above areas?

Evie

5 Year Member
All of the above are perfectly fine. He gets a lot of exercise, a vary in his food and the temp in his table is about 30 ish! His shell was like that when we got him. I don't think his previous owners cared much for him

Status
Not open for further replies.