What temps do turtles emerge in the spring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinl01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Little Rock, AR
At what nightly and daily temperatures cause box turtles to break hibernation and start appearing in the woods?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know for sure, but it seems that here when the earth starts to warm up to about 50F degrees I start seeing little box turtle faces poking up.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
idk . but please dont take one from the woods!..they need to stay in the wild....I hope that is not why you are asking

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
jojodesca said:
idk . but please dont take one from the woods!..they need to stay in the wild....I hope that is not why you are asking

No. I'm not sure why you would assume this. I have seen many box turtles in the wild, but I have none of them.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
austinl01 said:
jojodesca said:

No. I'm not sure why you would assume this. I have seen many box turtles in the wild, but I have none of them.

OK..sorry to jump to that conclusion..but the context of your post made that be my first thought......but they start to appear mid April to May..depending on the warm winter..later May-June if it's colder

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Some will be up earlier then others. If their hibernaculum is being hit by direct sunlight, they'll feel the warmth on days that hit the high 60's and start coming out to bask for a few hours, then they'll go back down. Others won't have the direct sun hitting the earth above them and will have to wait for sustained warmer temperatures before they'll come up. But the nights need to be consistently well above freezing before they will actually be out exploring.

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
With lots of woods and a nice stream right near our new house, I can't wait to see how many box turtles (3-toed) will be around. This will be my first spring there.

jojodesca said:
austinl01 said:
jojodesca said:

OK..sorry to jump to that conclusion..but the context of your post made that be my first thought......but they start to appear mid April to May..depending on the warm winter..later May-June if it's colder

That's ok. I know a lot of folks are very sensitive about this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.