What to pair with my RES?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
Since Holly now has the space to have a tank mate, we're thinking of getting her one. This won't happen for a while...we want to give her plenty of time to get used to her new home (unless others think it's best to introduce a new home and new friend at the same time?) and we'd like to adopt, rather than buy.

Any suggestions of something that goes well with a HUGE (9.5") RES? We had seen a painted and my daughter loved that. We're also particularly fond of the little stink pots, but they are so tiny that I worry she'd chomp one. :( She's not overly aggressive, but she has bitten me once and broke the skin. So we were thinking another slider of some sort or similar pond turtle that's not a hatching would be best.

Thanks!

I'm also totally fine with leaving well enough alone and just having her if that's best, so feel free to tell me so! lol! My kiddos are the ones who'd like to get a friend, but I told them we needed to research it more first. I've had two RES together, but they were together since they were hatchlings and we never had problems. I've never added a second turtle with an adult before.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RES are pretty agressive, so you want to find another type of turtle that will be able to hold its own with your RES.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
yagyujubei said:
softshell
Is this a joke?
A soft shell can receive injuries from a RES.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
We actually ended up jumping the gun and getting the painted that my children have been wanting for quite some time. Bad to not wait, I know...BUT we are FULLY prepared to house separately if needed. That's not a problem at all. She isn't a hatchling, she is several inches long. I was told that the types I should definitely NOT get are soft shell and side neck, both of which they had, but we avoided. Obviously. So far, so good. My RES was quick to check out the new turtle, but didn't really seemed phased. I'm watching them like crazy and we have two basking ends set up and lots and lots of room in the pond.

Here is the thread with our setup in case any one is interested. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-61058.html

Thank you so much for the replies! :)

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
dmmj said:
Is this a joke?
A soft shell can receive injuries from a RES.

As long as they're close to the same size, they do fine together.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Your painted should do well.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
Baoh said:
Your painted should do well.

Thanks! So far, so good! You can tell it's been with others because it follows the RES around. She doesn't seem too bothered. lol! We have plenty of food in there and plenty of room for them each to do their own thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.