What tortoise should I get???

amnaturalist

Hello everyone, I have been researching tortoises for a while now and decided to take the plunge. But I still can't make up my mind. I wanted to go with a red foot because I think they are beautiful but I also want a tool pick a species that will mesh well with my climate. I live in Michigan so winter time they of course will be indoors but summer time it stays roughly 80-90 with 100% humidity which was another reason why I was going for the red foot. But I don't really want to build a completely enclosed table in my house I want something more open so we can view and appreciate them. So any suggestions would help.
Also I just scored a topfin 40g breeder tank for 60 bucks cause it was missing the lid so I was thinking about starting to house the tortoise in there and build a large (4x8) table as over this year as the tortoise grow I would like to get one pretty young and I have red especially that red foot babies need very high humidity so I figured I could slap a plexiglass lid on the tank to make the humidity stable. I am completely open to any and all suggestions so please fire away, thanks!

yillt

Hello. You seem very keen on getting a red foot and they are lovely tortoises (though I've never owned one.) You are right in the sense that they need high humidity but that can be easily accomplished. You mentioned that you don't want an enclosed table but unfortunately red foots REALLY DO need high humidity. Maybe you could have to partly open if you found a very humid hide and added some spaghum Moss. Daily soaks also help. Good luck on finding the perfect tortoise

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi and welcome, you are very sensible to research first so that you can have it all set up ready to bring him/her home.
I don't know if you've found them yet but if you look under Species Specific section, there are lots of caresheets available which may help you decide on best tort for your circumstances and if you stick with RF, there are plenty of RF keepers here who can advise you on housing etc. in different climates - such as @Anyfoot and @ZEROPILOT. The Enclosures thread also has some great ideas.

amnaturalist

Looking at Hermanns now think I might go that direction they seem like they aren't as intense as a red foot.