What tortoise should i have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

h2ohouse89

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! I have built a 5 foot by 2.5 foot table with walls, a covered area for shade, a medium sized water. I have a heat lamp and lighting. Also have plenty of accessories. Is there anything else I need before I bring home a new addition to our family? Also, red footed vs yellow footed. Which one should we get?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That size will only last a baby red or yellow foot for a year or two tops. Also, it is very difficult to maintain proper conditions for a red or yellowfoot in an open topped enclosure, unless you live in the tropics.

You will also need to run all your equipment for a day or two to verify temps day and night and make any adjustments BEFORE you bring home a tortoise.

h2ohouse89

5 Year Member
What size living area would you recommend for a single red footed male tortoise?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My recommendation would be 4 feet by 8 feet minimum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi h2ohouse89 and welcome to the Forum!!

A baby tortoise can live in a pretty small space for at least 3, maybe 4 years. I have two small YF tortoises that I hatched out about 4 years ago and they are still living in a tort table appx. 2'x 3'. There's enough room in there for their waterer, a nice hiding place and a feeding station, with plenty of floor space for roaming. (This is my opinion)

Status
Not open for further replies.