What type of heat lights?

ErinLaForce16

5 Year Member
My red foot has a big wood house for nights when it gets cold outside. I have a heat lamp in there right now but to me it doesn’t seem like it’s keeping it hot enough. I know she needs it to at least be around 80° if not higher. What heat lamps do you use ? Like what wattage are they? And also, do I need to have one of the night time heating lamps to turn on at night or can I just stick with having the regular lamp on all night? i don’t want it being bright all the time to affect her health. I’m also considering buying a heating pad that sticks to the wall of the house to help keep it warmer. I saw them at petco today. Thanks in advance!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
You need a ceramic heat emitter, they don't put off any light. I use a 150 watt one on a thermostat in my Redfoots enclosure.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'd also use a CHE
But it might come down to the way your enclosure is set up that is the cause of your heat loss.
Is it a closed chamber?
Also, do not use a sticky heat pad.
They get hot in one tiny spot and can shatter glass if water drips on them.
Also glass does not transfer heat very well. I'm assuming you're talking a glass emclosure?
There are other reasons....

ErinLaForce16

5 Year Member
I'd also use a CHE
But it might come down to the way your enclosure is set up that is the cause of your heat loss.
Is it a closed chamber?
Also, do not use a sticky heat pad.
They get hot in one tiny spot and can shatter glass if water drips on them.
Also glass does not transfer heat very well. I'm assuming you're talking a glass emclosure?
There are other reasons....

It’s all wood. & it has 2 doors that I close at night to keep the heat in.

ErinLaForce16

5 Year Member
You need a ceramic heat emitter, they don't put off any light. I use a 150 watt one on a thermostat in my Redfoots enclosure.

IMG_1406.jpg
Is this the ceramic heat emitter your talking about ? Except yours in 150 & this picture says 100. I saw these in the store the other day but it looked like it puts off red light in the picture & I’ve heard red lights will make tortoises go blind over time.