What type of tortoise?

jessalee32

Location (City and/or State)
Norco, CA
Hi, I'm rescuing a tortoise and was told by the shelter that he's a Sulcata, just wanting to know if anyone else thinks differently or if he is in fact a Sulcata? Any help is appreciated

Attachments

• turtle2.jpg
    turtle2.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 3
  • turtle.jpg
    turtle.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 3

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Sulcata. There are tons of them for rescue in in CA (thank you for rescuing one!!!!). How big is s/he and do you know how much s/he weighs? Others may be able to tell if its a male or female from the Gular but i cannot with these pics.

This link is a good place to start, tho obviously he (?) is way too big for enclosures so you can skip that part. You'll need to set up a heated night box for him, unless you bring him inside at night. :

For Sulcata's specifically:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome! Looks like a Sulcata who needs lots of proper care and lots of long warm soaks from his new owner!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, it is a sulcata. Not that bad looking for a rescue. Does he walk okay? Looks like possibly slight mbd in the rear top area. Just give lots of room to roam, like a huge yard, proper diet and a pinch of calcium couple times a week.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I'm rescuing a tortoise and was told by the shelter that he's a Sulcata, just wanting to know if anyone else thinks differently or if he is in fact a Sulcata? Any help is appreciated
Main diet should be grass or grass hay. Use Bermuda or orchard grass hay, not Timothy. Weeds, leaves and flowers of the right types are good too. Mulberry leaves, grape vine leaves, hibiscus leaves, etc... Spineless opuntia pads are another great food too. No fruit. Minimize grocery store food when you can. Amend grocery store foods when you have to use them.

You will need a large tub for soaking, and a heated shelter for nights and colder days.

Make sure the tortoise doesn't have access to any toxic plants, or plants that have been treated with toxins. No oleander in the yard, right? No azaleas?

I like to encourage them to burrow in summer. Usually late June through mid October when the days are always near 100 degrees. Then I close off the burrow with a sheet of plywood in the fall and make them sleep in their heated houses again over winter and into spring.

Here are two night house examples and ways to safely heat them:

Questions are welcome! :)