What vegetables are high in fiber and are good for a Russian Tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaydaBear

5 Year Member
Hi guys!
What are some plants or supplements i can buy at a pet store or grocery store that are very high in fiber for my Russian Tortoise. Right now he's eating lettuce, collards, and some carrots, and i was wondering what vegetables are OK for them to eat and is high in fiber.
Thanks! :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Haydabear:

Did we ever learn your name or where you are?

Escarole and endive are pretty fibrous and nutritious. You can also feed turnip greens, mustart greens, dandelion greens...you can buy all that at the produce market.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Opuntia cactus pads(nopales) are available at the mexican grocery section.

Doritoinmontucky

5 Year Member
Montana
As long as you dont spray your lawn danilions and there greens are a favorite, as well as clover and short tender grasses. ZooMed makes a natural Grassland tortoise food. Its got everything a grassland tortoise needs as far as fiber goes, plus they love it wene its all mushy from wetting it down. Reminds me of rabit food or something. Mine love it as well as there usual veggies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
When feeding greens, leave the stalks and thick ribs in place.

You can make a simple fiber supplement by taking some pressed hay blocks (Timothy hay or others, not alfalfa), like those used for rabbits and crunching them up to sprinkle on food.

The easiest way I have found to crunch them is to tap the cube with a hammer until the layers start to separate, then just crunch up a layer or two at a time and discard any hard left-over bits. A few cubes will last a long time.

I take about a cup of this, mix in about a tablespoon of calcium powder and add a crunched up human multivitamin, then dust it on any meal that is not quite as nutritious as I would like it to be.

Doritoinmontucky

5 Year Member
Montana
Madkins007 said:
When feeding greens, leave the stalks and thick ribs in place.

You can make a simple fiber supplement by taking some pressed hay blocks (Timothy hay or others, not alfalfa), like those used for rabbits and crunching them up to sprinkle on food.

The easiest way I have found to crunch them is to tap the cube with a hammer until the layers start to separate, then just crunch up a layer or two at a time and discard any hard left-over bits. A few cubes will last a long time.

I take about a cup of this, mix in about a tablespoon of calcium powder and add a crunched up human multivitamin, then dust it on any meal that is not quite as nutritious as I would like it to be.

thats interesting about the multivitamin, i have never heard of that...

Status
Not open for further replies.