5 Year Member
RE: Interesting Leopard Tortoise Story on Yahoo News

Embarrassing~

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's the problem. The employee wasn't thinking. Just brought on more embarrassment. Thankfully the leopard was okay.

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Scotland
Interesting Leopard Tortoise Story on Yahoo News

Thats just awkward all round!

1 Eastern Hermanns Tortoise 2.5yo

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Cute leopard tortoise who was just went looking for a hide-from-all-the-people-hidey-place and found it behind the paneling. The probably young employee did not want them to look silly that the little tort had been there all along. Oopsee. Bad judgement, we all get it. Thank goodness it wasn't a theft. That would have been evil. T

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Idiots are everywhere.

The museum in question, The Dubuque Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium (http://www.mississippirivermuseum.com/) is featuring a big display of turtles and tortoises all summer. The site does not talk about it much but I hope to visit it in the next couple months.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
That's one way to get some publicity for the museum, LOL. Makes me want to go there.

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
that staff is something else lol , but the important thing is the leopard is okay :D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Dubuque is a smaller town on the Mississippi, right where Iowa, Wisconsin, and Illinois come together. It is about 3 hours from Chicago, Milwaukee, or Minneapolis. It is mostly a college town with nine different universities and colleges. It has an IBM campus and a big John Deere plant. My wife teaches there in the school year and I visit as often as I can. It is a really nice place.

The River Museum is a really nice place that they are trying to make into a regional attraction, but has the same limits on it that so many other places do- not enough money, difficulty in hiring good people and paying what they are worth, etc. From what I have seen, however, they really try to take care of the animals they have- mostly things native to the area, but also a really cool swamp display with gators and big snappers.

So... when we look at trying to blame someone or act like this is some sort of big deal, I disagree. This was an employee who made a mistake that triggered a response that went out of control, then made another mistake to cover it up. He was probably scared for his job and probably not very experienced at animal keeping, especially things like tortoises.

If this had been a reputable zoo, like the world-famous Omaha Zoo, or a zoo that specializes in reptile cares, etc. THEN this would have been a major issue due to the lapses in care, procedures, etc. and the key issue would have been the professionalism of the staff.

Heck- I've goofed up worse than this in my career!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Just goes to show how good tortoises are at hiding. In that sense, this person's mistake serves as a good lesson. Yesterday, I spent 15 minutes turning over our outdoor enclosure looking for one of our tortoises, only to find that he was hiding under a flap of AstroTurf - essentially the same situation as above. Just remember to breathe, and you will find them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.