What Website Do You Guys Buy Your Tortoise Supplies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hey, what's up Tortoise Forum?

If possible can anyone direct me to a good website to buy the essential tortoise supplies? What website do you guys buy your tortoise supplies from?

Thanks in advance,
SulcataDud3

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Speaking for only myself, I shop for building materials at Orchard Supply Hardware (because I like that they load it for me). For lighting I also shop at Orchard's. For water dishes I use plant saucers that I've bought at...drum roll...Orchard's. I had my bathroom remodeled 10 years or so ago and I use the left over tiles for feed dishes. For substrate, I use Wonderbark brand orchid bark, and I buy that at...yes, folks, you've guessed it: Orchard's!!!

I have shopped online for seeds and buy mostly from www.carolinapetsupply.com/

Yvonne

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
i honestly never want to pay for shipping so i go direct to the vendor. i go to reptile conventions. theres usually one near everyone in the lower 48 states once or more a year.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
spikethebest said:
i honestly never want to pay for shipping so i go direct to the vendor. i go to reptile conventions. theres usually one near everyone in the lower 48 states once or more a year.
Same goes for me. I'd love to go to a reptile convention, but there's just somethings a 17 year old can't do. :p I want to try to go to the one in Pomona, if I go I'll be coming from Vegas.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
We buy online a lot. I mean A LOT! We have found Herpsupplies.com the best for selection, price, very fast shipping, and customer service. Once a shipment arrived with a broken item. It was just a little decorative plant and worth probably only about $10. When we called Herpsupplies, they knew us by name from our frequency of orders (can't imagine knowing anyone by name in an online business). They upgraded the little plant and Fedex'd us the replacement. It was really more attention than we thought we'd get for just a little plant.

We are torn about supporting the little pet stores in the area or buying online. We always try to support the mom and pop shops. However, we often find pet stores keep animials, particularly reptiles, in less than ideal conditions, and thus don't want to support them. However, with an online store we never even get to know any staff or know if the staff has any herp knowledge.

We can tell you that the woman who answered the phone at Herpsupplies.com owns so many reptiles at home she had to ask her boss if she could start keeping some at work to make more room. Man, I wonder if we could pull that one off at our work. A hospital has a lot of room! As you go for a CT scan you could watch the lizard in the corner - nice and calming. As you wait for your child to get a cast on his arm in the ER you could check out the aquarium of turtles - kill some time. As you are there getting your chemotherapy treatment, you could hold a tortoise -studies show pets lower stress level and release beneficial endorphins. Hmmm.....

aRym

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
KL, Malaysia
I buy from carolinapetsupply.com sometimes, when I can't find certain tortoise supplies in Malaysia market. They are quick and provide good customers service.

I bought the most needed and important products only so far. The products price are affordable especially when there are sales, but the delivery charge can be costly, most of the time the international postage rate is higher than the product price itself.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...I use PetMountain.com cause their UVB's are cheapest there. I use Walmart black lights and Aspen chips, and Home Depot sand and cypress mulch. Sometimes I have to use PetSmart when a red light or day light blows and I have no backup. I hate their prices tho. Their tanks are usually clean but so-so tiny.
Good luck
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.