What would you do for this CDT with runny nose

NancKj

Location (City and/or State)
San Fernando Valley, CA
Hi all!
Particularly hoping for advice from Tom and Yvonne, who have much experience with these guys!
I adopted a new CDT, this year, just after brumation. He had a runny nose, treated by Dr Molnar. Runny nose went away. I have an another CDT for many years. Tortoises have no contact, wash hands in-between and etc. Runny nose on new guy came back 2 months later, and then my old guy got runny nose too, in spite of precautions. Now, both being treated by Dr Molnar. New guy, presumptive carrier, is better. My other, original guy, still has bubbly nose after 4 treatments of nasal lavage with baytril and steroid. He gets another treatment tomorrow. His only other symptom is that he does want to come out of his hide as usual. When I make him come out, he eats, wanders around, poops, and acts totally normal. Yet, every day, I have to pull him out way way beyond when he usually gets up...
Finally to my question!! What would you do?? Is it time to try another antibiotic? Or, injections instead of intranasal? Is it ok to just let him be for a couple of weeks to let him fight this off? Should I continue to "make" him come out and eat?? Cultures did not show mycoplasma, but I understand that it is difficult to detect (mouth swab). A couple bacterias were identified, but they seem to be part of normal CDT bacterial load, and at any rate they are sensitive to Baytril. I do not want to overtreat my sweet guy! I have been soaking him every day.
Thank you!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would try to get the runny nose one's night box warmer so it doesn't cool down at night.(I'm assuming he's outside?

NancKj

San Fernando Valley, CA
Thanks Yvonne,
Had him in my house at night for a full week, keeping the entire room 85 degrees and it made no difference. I still had to physically remove him from sleeping box, then he would perk up. He is back outside with his nightbox never getting below 75 at night. It is 80 now. 104 outside. Whew