What's wrong??????

yillt

Hi.
I recently posted a new thread about favourite species and my marginated tortoise was
In it.Why are marginated torts so rare??Are they disliked??? What's wrong with them??
I just wanted to ask as I couldn't come up with anything.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Well, I know that here in San Antonio, I've never seen one in a pet store. I also never see them at the local herp show. Well, never is an exaggeration. I've seen, maybe, twenty hatchlings over the course of fifteen years of going to the San Antonio herp show. That's not a lot. There also haven't been any imports of wild ones in decades, and when there were, they weren't arriving in the overwhelming number that Russians, Greeks, and Hermann's have. It is an unfortunate fact that many people's first tortoise is a wild tortoise. This is certainly true for me, as my first tortoise was a wild black Middle Eastern Greek. There also aren't a lot of people who breed them. I mean, aside from Chris, Gary, Tim and Robin, I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who breeds them (I'm sure there are more UK breeders, given the popularity of Testudo in Europe). I mean, my colony is expanding, and I'm trying to get to where breeding them is a regular thing, but yeah, not many people know about them, which is truly a shame.

T.G.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are beautiful torts. They are not as available as some others. I don't know other then that why there isn't more of them.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
I've only had one for about six months, but am really enjoying. Very active, friendly, eating machine. Weight had more than doubled in that time period. Check with Tortoise Supply. Tyler usually has them available.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I think it's because they are one of the 'larger' tortoises at 14''. When people are starting out, a smaller 8'' tort is much more practical and easier to house to begin with. I guess kind of jumped ahead a bit :rolleyes: but I've seen pics of them, they are beautiful torts, and I think it 's not what's wrong with them, it's just what people want. I would love to have one, they seem so friendly and really perfect for here, but not many people know about them... so they are not as 'in demand' as other tort species.

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Little Rock, Ar
I am loving mine. I got 3 of Gary's adults and already have 3 eggs in the incubator.

Attachments

• 1412904721286.jpg
    1412904721286.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 33

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I love my too, I have a lone adult male. I'm try to looking for couple female maybe next year.

chaseswife

5 Year Member
I had never even heard of them before coming to this forum- nothing wrong with them though. Sulcata are much more common around here, and it is what I have, so that is what my favorite is. 20141007_100014.jpg

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
i think its a size thing. most people want a small tort thats easier to house especially indoors, or they want a big tort that can stomp about the place . margies are a medium size and unfortunately get less consideration. if i had room for a tort that size i d have 1. then again i'd have 1 of every species if i could :D. it sucks but i just don't have the space. :( all the more reason to spoil our larl sparky.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
I don't know, if this size thing were true, sulcatas, redfoots, and leopards wouldn't be so popular. I mean, all of those tortoises get as large or larger than margies, and temperature wise, they are much less forgiving. I think that their popularity is a reflection of their lack of availability. Not a lot of people breed them, and not a lot of people know about them as a result. Plus the whole wild caught thing. I mean, Russians are incredibly popular, because you see the poor things being exploited by PetCos and PetSmarts across the country. Sadly, seeing captive bred russians is about as common as seeing captive bred margies, which is incredibly shameful given how many of the wild caught subadults out there. But you guys are right. This is a real shame, given that marginated tortoises are, in my opinion, the most awesome tortoises around. They're hardy, large but not too large, very good looking, and full of personality.

T.G.