When are babies old enough to...

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, Texas
Hi All,

My babies will be about 18 months old in a month or so when my four adults break from brumation to go back in our enclosure. The babies have been in an indoor set up this winter. Last year, they were in a smaller outdoor box and did fine. I'm just wondering, when are they old enough to live with the larger turtles? I've got two males and two females who will be separated. The size difference will still be considerable. Any thoughts?

Alice

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a small yard set up for babies. I don't put them into the big guys' yard until they are close to adult size. It's so hard to find them to make sure each one is eating and is looking ok, I like to keep them separate until they're bigger:

baby box turtle yard.jpg

jakskillz

Georgia
It totally depends on turtle temperament but usually they need to be old enough where they won’t get seriously injured by an adult. Even adults can become aggressive towards each other. Males may fight, females may fight it just all depends. Adult box turtles will eat young turtles which is why it’s recommended not to keep them together until the young ones have matured in size. My circumstances forced me to bring in all my turtles from their large outdoor enclosures inside into multiple tubs and a small kiddie pool. I have to keep 2-3 per tub and 4 in the pool. It’s been a nightmare figuring out who gets along with who. My female Florida box turtles kept attacking the male so he got moved to the ornate box turtle tub where they have gotten along much better. 3 males inhabit the pool peacefully towards each other (but not me lol) and my ladies have had no issues together. I have two babies and a 3” juvenile. They all live separately in terrariums because even though they get fed daily they still may nip at each other. The juvenile is half the size of the adults but I’ve seen them when they get feisty and he wouldn’t stand a chance. My situation has them cramped though so maybe larger room to roam will stop aggression. I have talked to people who have adult pens outside and separated pens with screen tops because young turtles can easily be grabbed and taken away by predators.

@Yvonne G I know how hard it can be to find them for feeding. I play a game when one is buried called “poke n hiss” I just start poking into the ground until I bump a shell and hear that lovely annoyed hiss. I started doing this when I found out the food dish kept ending up on top of some and they would flip it over when rising from the dirt lol

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
Thanks ya'll. I should err on keeping them separate I suppose. I have a large enclosure, so I might make a small area of it for the babies. I have two adult males and two adult females. The males don't get along great, but as long as they have enough space it is okay. The girls are kind of the same way. One is a real witch, but as long as they are in the large area they generally leave each other alone. Last year the boys kept jumping the wall I made to harass the girls, so I'm hoping I can perfect my separation technique so that will stop.

Alice

jakskillz

Georgia
Thanks ya'll. I should err on keeping them separate I suppose. I have a large enclosure, so I might make a small area of it for the babies. I have two adult males and two adult females. The males don't get along great, but as long as they have enough space it is okay. The girls are kind of the same way. One is a real witch, but as long as they are in the large area they generally leave each other alone. Last year the boys kept jumping the wall I made to harass the girls, so I'm hoping I can perfect my separation technique so that will stop.

Alice

I found that you can never go too high for a separation wall. My first outdoor setup I used cinderblocks and the dividing walls were about 16” high. I caught my largest box turtle Ebert hopping the wall. He’s super shy and will only eat or move when he feels nobody is looking. Apparently he was waiting for me to leave, eating all the food in his section, then hopping over the next section and eating all their food, then going back over like nothing happened. He was only aggressive towards other turtles getting at his food though.