When should I start handling my tortoise?

I_love_tortoises

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hi tortoise lovers. This is my first post on the forum. So I got a juvenile Russian tortoise yesterday(Monday). He is VERY shy. I tried to put my hand in the enclosure to move around his items he messed up. He made like a hissing sort of noise. He also make that noise when I am near him. I then tried to give him some Romain lettuce and carrots but he walked in it and refused to eat it. When should I start handling him? How should I handle him without stressing him out? What type of foods should I try to feed him? Thanks!![emoji173]️

I will upload some pics of him. I know the enclosure is small, he will only be in it for about 1-2 weeks max. I am currently building him a lot bigger enclosure.

IMG_0357.jpgIMG_0356.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He will need time to get used too things being different. You should handle him every day and soak him in warm water daily for 20 minutes. Please read the caresheet under the Russian section. Broad leafy greens is what you need to feed. Dandelion, mustard greens, collars greens endive, ridicchio for grocery greens.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome!

He will realize that you are not a tortoise eating monster in a few days. I wouldn't worry too much or tip toe around. Just go about your normal business, do what you need to do, and he will get used to the handling and routine.

I_love_tortoises

Florida
Update: he loves it when I hold him and doesn’t make noises as much anymore. He met my family and was very calm. Thanks

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
the noise is just him releasing air as he tucks in his shell, i also thought it was a hiss, or a noise that he was sick, but its just him exhaling when he goes for cover lol

Etania Cheng

Socal
I think handling your tort is ok because it's good for both you and the little guy to be comfortable with each other. Just start out slow in the beginning and don't grab him/her up too fast because they could be scared. Put your hand out, let them come to you if they're willing to, just give it some time since tortoises are fairly shy creatures.