Where can I get Terramycin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
Feed store, TSC, probably pet store as well. Costs about $15 for a tiny tube.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I'm going to assume you're in the U.S., if this is correct, you can find it in most feed stores such as Blue Seal, Tractor Supply, etc. If you don't have one of these in your area, Amazon.com sells it:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00063KGUK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I haven't encountered a pet store that carries it yet, only livestock and feeds stores.

I hope your guy/girl improves soon!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Gabe:

You need to try to figure out why the nictitating membrane has become inflamed. Its usually due to some sort of stress the animal has endured. The eye ointment will sooth the inflammation, but will do nothing to solve the original problem.

I won't waste my money on those eye remedies sold for turtles.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I've never found Terramycin at Tractor Supply.......Feed stores that deal with Livestock will always have it though.......Look in the phone book, as I've never been anywhere in this country where I wasn't a half hour from a Feed Store......

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
you can get steril lubricating eye ointment at a walmart by the pharmacy area? its just mineral oil and patrolium... its what i used for my guy.. worked great its the best i could come up with on short notice sooo maybe will work for you ?

tjwrnglr

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Gabe:

You need to try to figure out why the nictitating membrane has become inflamed. Its usually due to some sort of stress the animal has endured. The eye ointment will sooth the inflammation, but will do nothing to solve the original problem.

I won't waste my money on those eye remedies sold for turtles.

I cant think of anything, I have two torts around the same age, and it only occurred to this one. I don't see any scratches around his eye, so I think he might have gotten some dirt in his eyes. What's weird is that it's in both his eyes.

I gave him two drops per eye this morning and as of now the swelling has gone down a bit. I am housing him separately for now, we'll see how he turns out in a few days.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
First, I am NOT an advocate of using antibiotics for every perceived problem that arises with our critters. I'm afraid too many are too eager to jump on the Terramycin bandwagon for every little problem that arises and then praise the ointment's magical healing properties, when a simple artificial tear ointment with no antibiotics would have solved the problem 9 times out of ten. The indiscriminate use of antibiotics leads to nothing but antibiotic resistence in the bugs that our immune systems should be able to handle on their own...now, I'll step down from my egg crate.

As with us, very few problems that arise are coincidence or spontaneous illness. If you get a sudden itch and reddening in your eye, do you automatically assume a bacterial infection? Conjunctival inflammation and blepharitis (inflammation of the eyelids) is most commonly caused by foreign bodies/irritants in the eyes or allergic reactions. Are there bacterial and viral causes, of course...but they are much less common than environmental causes. Sudden inflammation? look for changes in the environment...foods? substrates? water sources? humidity levels? stressors? Antibiotics aren't going to do diddly for these.... but flushing the eyes and providing extra moisture in the form of artificial tears might....and then, of course, finding the offending allergen or environmental changes that caused the problem in the first place.

Just my 2 Cents

Doc

tjwrnglr

5 Year Member
Thanks for the post, doc.

As of this morning, the redness and swelling has completely gone away. I still applied drops this morning and will continue to keep him separated from the other for the next few days. Still lazy though, but he's been that way since winter started.

Status
Not open for further replies.