Where to buy plants for redfoot enclosure?

hawktheredfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hello everyone! I am building a new enclosure for my redfoot tortoise. Im starting to introduce plants into her enclosure and I’m not sure where to buy them. I can’t get answers anywhere other than to not buy them from Home Depot/Lowes or any large stores. Where do you guys buy your plants? Would buying them from an organic Etsy shop work?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Organic would probably be the fastest way to use them.
However, if you are getting them for coverage not for food right away, then you can get them from home Depot, etc. wash the dirt off them and replant in safe soil, no pesticides or the little white fertilizer pellets and then by winter you could feed them.
You can also start them from cuttings from friends and family plants.
Hope that helps.

hawktheredfoot

Massachusetts
Organic would probably be the fastest way to use them.
However, if you are getting them for coverage not for food right away, then you can get them from home Depot, etc. wash the dirt off them and replant in safe soil, no pesticides or the little white fertilizer pellets and then by winter you could feed them.
You can also start them from cuttings from friends and family plants.
Hope that helps.
If I bought from an organic Etsy store, how long would I have to wait before using them?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As long as they haven't used any pesticides or fungicide on the plant and in its dirt, they could be used right away. Just be sure to ask them and let them know what you are using them for.