Which Plants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkpirate

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central New York
Tonight I spent a hour at the store looking at plants to put into my tortoise table and new outdoor enclosure. I feel like my head is spinning and only came home with more geraniums since Petrie loves them.

My new outdoor enclosure is ready and I want to put in lots of plants for him but to provide shade, hide spots and food. The enclosure is 4'x8' and will have a cover on it. Can anyone tell me what they would plant for their tortoise. I would rather go with plants others have used then guess at what to buy.

Petrie is a 7 month old Sulcata and I live in Central New York if this helps!

Thank you in advance.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
Hostas, hibiscus, marigolds. How about growing some fancy lettuce like Mescalin mix? You can usually get seeds at a garden center or even Walmart.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Along with listed already. Rose of Sharon, hibiscus won't last the winters, but rose of Sharon will, grows like crazy and looks similar to a hibiscus. Hostas are great for food and coverage. Day lilies are also good for food and coverage. Grapes, cactus, roses. All of the above are perennials in most zones. Annuals for our colder zones would be, impatience, petunia, marigold, violets. In fact, I have some violets and impatience that will come up the next year. Also get some clover seeds and dandelion seeds. That should give you a good start and most should be easy to find. The cactus you will have to order online and get the spineless.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Last spring I planted an outdoor enclosure with red clover and chicory seed, added some strawberries. There was already a healthy growth of wild aster there as well as some grasses and lilac sprouts. This year the enclosure has dense clover, chicory, aster, and strawberries. My torts are out there every day, but it will have to get warmer here before they start eating a lot outside. They have a few spots where they are getting under the sod to hide. So cute! It's the ultimate humid hide!

Status
Not open for further replies.