Which Species should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellie_A

5 Year Member
This is my first post on this forum, I have many reptiles and would like to get a tortoise in the spring. I know a little about the care of the more common species but I don't know anyone who has tortoises so I am having a hard time deciding which species I want.

I have the space to have a tortoise table that is 3x7 so I know that I don't want a sulcatta but I think that most other species would be ok with this space constraint. I am also not picky about the habitat that it requires (ie desert, tropical, etc) or the diet required. I have many reptiles that range from arid to tropical and temperate and diets of mice, bugs, CGD, veggies. My main concern is personality, I would like a tortoise that I can interact with (I know that they are not dogs or even bearded dragons but I would like to see it sometimes and be able to handle it when required without raising the stress level too much).

I am not interested in a wild caught specimen and am in Canada so availability is somewhat limited. So far I have seen red foots, cherry heads, hermanns, leopards, and pancakes but will be willing to search for and wait for the right tortoise to become available. I also want to have the time to build a table and thoroughly research the species before getting it.

Can anyone recommend a species for me? If you need more info or have questions please let me know.

Thanks

jtrux

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Russian tortoises are really great pets. Buy a baby and watch it grow. They are very personable and would be ok in an enclosure that size.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Out of the ones you mentioned, the ones that will be able to live in the enclosure that you have room for are cherry heads or hermanns. Both are great torts, I would say that Hermanns are much better first time torts.

fluffypanda17

5 Year Member
I would suggest researching some European tortoises, they meet the description to me~

Goodluck!

dannyboy

5 Year Member
I have a Dessert Tort, they are cute and love attention! Mine hears mine and my fiancés voices and wants to get close to us! Talk to them as much as you want.:) our tort loves it:)

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome, first off....Russians, Greeks, or Hermanns. Don't have any. But they interest me.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Gonna chime in with Russians, Greeks or Hermanns. I have a Russian and he likes having his head petted and he loves climbing over people's feet. He gets more and more social every day.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Hermann's, due to their personality, but Iberian Greeks and Russians are good, too. A redfoot would out grown that table, eventually.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
I have a western Herman and I am
A
First time tortoise keeper. I am
Finding it very rewarding being a new mother to my tort!!

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
I got an Iberian.Greek because of the same reasons you have listed. He doesn't seem to be afraid of...well...anything. They are a very hardy species as well. The largest they should get is typically 10". The only thing paul seems slightly skittish about is eating out of anyones hand, except mine. I'm sure if anyone worked with him more he'd be fine with it.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
My vote is Russian. Hardy, easy to care for and have great personalities. Also it's my first tortoise and I find them great pets and fun to watch.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
So I wonder if you have made up your mind on selecting your tort, please share to us.

For the space you have, I would pick any desert tortoise available in your country. I read too many people saying that desert torts are very outgoing, except for Egypt torts, which not so many people have. I personally would vote for Greeks among desert torts though.

Status
Not open for further replies.