Which subspecies of Greek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
I adopted this Greek this summer from a young college kid who could not afford his ongoing medical costs...chronic UR disease, for which I am treating and he's improving nicely.

Anyway, she thought he was a Golden, but I'm not 100% convinced as he seems to have more black than normal, and his skin is more grey and pinkish tinged.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1379703305.298548.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1379703315.063285.jpg

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

Last edited by a moderator:

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Hi Sandy *waves* :)
This kind of Greek is usually lumped in as a 'golden' greek, inspite of not having completely gold coloring. If memory serves me, this would be called a testudo Graeca terrestris - which is kind of a large subgroup that includes what used to be called 'antakyan' Greeks and golden Greeks and some others. I can just see old tortoise-expert-codgers sitting around a table arguing... I'm sure the exact classification will change again in 10 years.

Terrestris can have grey, tan, even almost orange/pink skin. It kind of just depends on where they originated from. Yay genetics.

Maybe GBtortoises or someone else who is better at IDing Greeks will chime in. I'm totally not an expert, I just happened to be on the other end of ID-advice about a year ago, and remember a bit of what was said!

I hope the URI clears up. Aside from antibiotics, keeping the tortoise a little warmer and more humid than usual (not letting the temps drop below 80, even on the cool side) can make a huge difference. It's still warm enough for a little bit of outdoor time, too. You probably know the rest already. :)

SenjiSandy said:
I adopted this Greek this summer from a young college kid who could not afford his ongoing medical costs...chronic UR disease, for which I am treating and he's improving nicely.

Anyway, she thought he was a Golden, but I'm not 100% convinced as he seems to have more black than normal, and his skin is more grey and pinkish tinged.

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
(Big geeky wave back)

Yah, temps been up'd which meant buying a CHE for overnight. Got is covered but I appreciate the reminder. He is really loving his morning soaks now. His 5th IM injection is Sunday, but I'm going to continue for at least 2 more. His dramatically better tonight even as compared to this morning, but he's had this ongoing for months before I got him, so I'm taking a more aggressive approach.

X-ray showed clear lungs. YAY!!

Thanks for the notes on Greek spp. I sorta suspected that, from my own newbie research. Doesn't matter really, but I am an information junkie and a consummate student....can't help myself

And Mo is more outgoing...all week he improved. Not as shy, even knocked down the baby gate to get to living room, strolled around for an hour, walked outside to graze then came back in and investigated my toes, I nearly cried!!! I love this guy.

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

Dang...I can't type tonight. I'm exhausted!!

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
He's so cute!!!
So is the consensus "Golden Greek"?

Larry is amazing. He actually enjoys to sit on my lap, burrow head in clothes and he will sit there and occasionally look around. Last night, he crawled up onto my chest, sprawled out, and rested his head on my chest. Feels like he totally trusts me and can relax. I rubbed my finger in gentle circles on his head...and I swear he looked HAPPY!!!

Just amazes me how much expression they can demonstrate.

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Well, everything seemed to match him to Jerusalem except for skin color. Larry is very peachy/orange. Couldn't document that in J's

What is interesting...when I adopted him, he was grayish-blackish. After one money, his skin peeled and revealed this new peachy color....which I love, but other than diet and new UV light (and lots of time outside), I was baffled as to why he changed color so dramatically.

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

MONTH? Not money. I need to drink more coffee and take 30 seconds to proof read.

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.