Which Tort for Texas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daddykirbs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
N.E. San Antonio
I'm curious... If I want to pursue getting another tort, which one would it be? I live just outside of San Antonio Texas. My wife wants a tort that we can build and outdoor enclosure for. She wants it to live out there year round.

We've had sort of a run in with the 'law' regarding the Texas Tort so I'm going to avoid that one. Although... that's the tort that got my wife wanting an outdoor tort. We've had Russians (RIP, sad story... my fault) that we've kept indoors and we don't want that again.

Angie, my wife, likes the size of the Texas tort and thought our Russians were too small.

So... which tort to live outdoors here in south Texas that isn't a Texas Tortoise and gets to be about the size of the TT?

I appreciate your input.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Eastern Hermann's are about the same adult size as Texas tortoises and will do well in your climate. Many of the Testudo gracea subspecies would do equally as well and are about the same size, some slightly larger than a Texas tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How about a CA desert tortoise? Haha. Just kidding. Same can of government worms.

Sulcatas do well outdoors, but they get really big. Best personality of any species though. Leopards would do okay too, but you'd need a heated night house for either of those two.

It might be hard to find, but a Chaco tortoise fits your bill pretty well.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Another vote for an Eastern Hermann's or one of the Greeks...if you build it a spot where it can hibernate safe from varmints and stay dry, they do very well here in The Republic.

Status
Not open for further replies.