Which tortoise is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianturtsandtorts

5 Year Member
Well I'm at a crosshairs as a breeder at this point. I currently deal mostly with turtles along with Russians and Red Foots. Now I have an opportunity to expand and it can go one of 2 directions really; common or rare.

So forget for a minute that we live in Canada and that most tortoises outside of Toronto are a little hard to come by. I'm in Ottawa valley and to my knowledge there are only a couple people here who casually breed in small numbers.

Is it wiser to spend the extra and go with species that are more rare (stars, pancakes, etc) or to go with common standbys that are likely to go cheaper but an easier sell?

And yes I know all have specific requirements and all that jazz. I have the area and the equipment to house them and make things optimal, but I'd like to here from you on what you'd like to see more of or even what you'd like to see less of.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. Show us some of your Russians and Red Foots. What kind of turtles have you raised? Can you show us a pic of where you house your animals? Thanks in advance.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
I think if you live in Canada, go for the Star's and Pancakes :) Those are EXTRA rare there.

canadianturtsandtorts

5 Year Member
Thanks all!

I would love to go rare even though it will likely take longer to breed as I will likely need to start with babies. Good experience though as one should always know there babies before they breed.

Will post pics soon!! Just in the process of finishing a move so things are a bit scattered. Also revamping some of the enclosures. For some reason the male red foot has become a bully in the last week or so and has been moved to a vastly undersized Rubbermaid until Saturday. Then I'll build a proper pen and hopefully get a chance to take pictures.

canadianturtsandtorts

5 Year Member
Oh sorry missed a question; on the turtle end I have reeves, southern painteds, razorback musks, eastern muds, African Sidenecks, and northern diamondbacks.

In the weeds I have a few that are still young for breeding just yet but hopefully someday.

Their indoor enclosures aren't overly exciting consisting of stock tanks and above tank bask areas. The pond come summer will be fun as ill have to build from scratch but outdoor is always a nice plus!

Status
Not open for further replies.