White lines in between shell?

BeckyLg

Hey guys!

Sorry to be posting something that has been posted a few times before, but I thought I'd rather be safe than sorry. I've seen similar posts to what I'm saying here but wanted to show pictures of my tortoises and make sure they're okay rather than guessing by what people have replied to other people.

Here are my photos. I apologise for the wet tortoises, they've just had bath time!

v5vgyd.jpg

^ Jaffie from above

2dbm592.jpg

^ Jaffie from below (only for a few seconds to take the picture!)

2ewkunr.jpg

^ Close up of Jaffie - I'm worried about the bit in the middle. :(

1672gt1.jpg

^ Yeezy from above.

28jcqj5.jpg

^ Yeezy from below (again, only for a few seconds to get the picture)

2q0357l.jpg

^ And a close up of Yeezy's shell - you can see the white really clearly in this photo.

I've looked at a few threads - some say this is normal growth, some say it's the beginning of marbling, and other say it looks like shell rot (although there seemed to be more white spots all over with shell rot).

If it is just growth and completely normal this is fantastic and we can't wait for them to grow more!! Otherwise, thank you for any information you can give me on this. :) The fact that the two of them both have it tells me it's probably a normal thing, but as I've said, better to be safe than sorry!

Thank you everyone!
From Becky

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
First, never apologize for posting...either questions or photos.
Second, nice looking animals. As was mentioned you're looking at rapid new growth

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think what you're talking about is something we call mottling. Some of the RF tortoises develop a sort of pattern on their shell. Here's an extreme case:

red-footed-tortoise2.jpg

It's completely normal, and even desireable.

Telid

5 Year Member
TX
Seconding Yvonne's comment. They look like growth lines and are nothing to be worried about. Keep an eye on it and make another post if you notice any significant changes, but otherwise it seems normal.