white stuff by butt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uilani104

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
I was looking at Rye I found some white stuff by his butt hole. He just got out of his soak too. So I have no idea what it is. I didn't get a picture, I wiped it off before I even thought of taking a picture. Any ideas what it is?

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Mel ~ sounds like urates. Totally normal unless they are hard as rocks like Daisy Lou. How is he doing? Still eating good?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just a quick FYI - the hole under a turtle/tortoise's tail is called the cloaca.

uilani104

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Torty Mom said:
Mel ~ sounds like urates. Totally normal unless they are hard as rocks like Daisy Lou. How is he doing? Still eating good?

Okay, I saw it only that one time. I'll just keep checking. He's doing great! Back to normal. He's eating a lot more now! I'll reply to your reply on "my Ryne" here, yup their pictures are on the ornaments :D

emysemys said:
Just a quick FYI - the hole under a turtle/tortoise's tail is called the cloaca.
[/quote

Thank you! Learned something new today:D

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Urates can be normal up to a few times a week, but less frequent is better. They are a component of tort urine, and usually come out with the clear fluid as well, but sometimes you get poop with some urates, or just urates. If they are more like toothpaste than chunky/gritty, thats better as it means your tort is well hydrated. Sometimes no matter what you do for hydration though, a tort will have the gritty urates.

Status
Not open for further replies.