Whitehead and Hissing???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bama boy

5 Year Member
Hey guys,

We have a year and a half old, red footed tortoise. Its head, and neck, on the top, is an ashy white color? Should I be concerned?

Also, it has started with a hissing sound when we start touching it. It is probably normal, but do we need to start handling it more?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
It sounds like your Redfoot is to dry. I think upping the humidity will help the white head and neck.

Danny

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Would it be possible to post some pictures of the head and maybe even a little video clip of the hissing?

Without seeing it, it sounds like maybe its a bit dehydrated and the skin is drying out.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Dale's head looks like that when he drys out. When you touch a tortoise and they pull their heads in it sounds like a hissing sound. Redfoots need humidity do you have enough in his enclosure?

Bama boy

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the answers!!

What is the best way to increase the humidity?

I do not have any pictures of the turtle with the aforementioned areas.

Lou

10 Year Member!
What substrate are you using? I find that a combination of top soil, coco fiber (eco earth) and some cypress mulch retains its humidity well. Some sphagnum moss in the humid hide helps too.

regular spray down of the enclosure and tortoise itself helps.

having plants (especially broad leafed plants also helps to maintain humidity)

Bama boy

5 Year Member
We are using sphagnum moss. i soaked Tiny for about 20 min. and sprayed water in the enclosure several times today and there seems to be some improvement.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
If you look at the Tortoise Library, in my signature below, there is an article on Red-foot care, and another on humidity that might help.

moswen

5 Year Member
make sure you keep that boy hydrated! prolonged lack of water can lead to hatchling failure syndrome, which systematically shuts down your tort's organs due to dehydration. not saying you have it, don't flip out, just make sure you keep him hydrated, water is very necessary for torts!

Bama boy

5 Year Member
Thanks to everyone. Tiny is doing better. Although when I touch around Tiny's head , I still get a hissing, or harsh breathing sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.