Why are they black?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
Like most people in a warm area my yard is full of what I call fence lizards. They used to be greens and browns and a little color and pattern. Now they are all black. Does anyone know why? They are not aligator lizards, I don't get as many of them, they are mean and creepy.
These are just the 3 or so inch little lizards that run when they see you.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
In short - the weather and temperature outside. Because the sun's rays are shorter, and the temperatures are cooler, the lizards adjust their pigment to allow themselves to absorb more of the sun's warmth. In the summer they are lighter colored. Black absorbs more light and warmth - so this time of year they are darker.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Well I should have figured that out. Boy do I feel dumb. I thought it was their enviorment that made them change color.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It IS their environment that causes them to change color.

Those are called fence swifts. I love them. They eat lots of flies. I don't like flies. We've got lots of them over here too. The adults usually stake out a territory and me and my daughter name them.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I didn't mean envirorment I meant their surroundings.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not trying to hound you. I'm laughing as I type this and just having fun.

Their color changes are a direct result of their surroundings, environment, area, living space, habitat, landscape, micro-climate, environmental niche.

When the environmental or surrounding factors change, so does their color. :) Don't be mad.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
LOL! I don't get mad very easy. Definatly not from someone giving me an answer to a question I have asked. I love my little lizards, but know nothing about them, so I am glad to finally know why their color has changed. If it makes you laugh, well that is a benifit because laughing is healthy.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Angi said:
LOL! I don't get mad very easy. Definatly not from someone giving me an answer to a question I have asked. I love my little lizards, but know nothing about them, so I am glad to finally know why their color has changed. If it makes you laugh, well that is a benifit because laughing is healthy.

lmfao

They also change color in cold situations to absorb more heat. A brightly colored lizard in a cold environment would be much colder than a black lizard in a cold environment.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Yesterday was hot and the lizards were light. I was excited to see the change.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Wouldn't it be cool if we could change color? FYI I am on my 2nd glass of wine.

Status
Not open for further replies.