Why can't i find a Baby Russian Tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefnshow66

5 Year Member
Hello,
I've been wanting to get a Russian tortoise for a while now but all the ones i see on online and at pet stores are all wild caught. I would really like a baby Russian that is captive bred but it seems like it's a hard thing to find. Why is that?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
CB are rare. Scour the web, and wait a little longer. Ask for breeder recommendations and try to get in direct contact with them. Some hatchlings won't hatch until late summer, and most of the time a good breeder should keep them a couple months. I got mine from Amazon Reptiles online and everything went well; I think they only have one right now from '08. This just gives you more time to research and get a great enclosure put together! Best wishes.

S

stells

Danny (egyptiandan) has eggs at the moment... might be worth having a chat to him :D

thefnshow66

5 Year Member
thanks for the replies. Well i saw the latest ad on this site and i had no idea there was a subspecies of Russian's that have longer shells and get bigger. Well the reason why i wanted a Russian is because the tend to stay pretty small and I can only offer an indoor enclosure but from what he described, they get to 7-9 inches when they are adult. I was hoping for around 4-5 like most Russian's I've seen on the market.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
only males stay that small. females all get bigger

thefnshow66

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
only males stay that small. females all get bigger

I'd like to get a male tortoise due to them being smaller than the females but is there any way to really tell what sex they are as babies?? I'd hate to buy a baby thinking of getting a boy and end up with a larger tortoise that I won't be able to provide room for.

shelber10 said:

thanks for the look out. I'm still looking around to see if a Russian tortoise is the one i should get. Are there any other species that stay small and are more readily available?

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
I have a Jordanian Greek tortoise.Most Greeks stay pretty small. I think they're one of the smaller ones out of the others. And I'd say they're more readily available :)

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
It will take quite a while for a baby to reach adult size anyways.....msg Danny. Ask him about his russians...I'm sure some were incubated male....

Just remember, that two males of any species cannot (and shouldn't) be housed together, even if they are raised that way.

But sometimes females, who are more docile, will tolerate it, if there is enough space.

thefnshow66

5 Year Member
Stazz said:
I have a Jordanian Greek tortoise.Most Greeks stay pretty small. I think they're one of the smaller ones out of the others. And I'd say they're more readily available :)

ooh yea? How long have you had your tortoise? How big is he/she now?

Meg90 said:
It will take quite a while for a baby to reach adult size anyways.....msg Danny. Ask him about his russians...I'm sure some were incubated male....

Just remember, that two males of any species cannot (and shouldn't) be housed together, even if they are raised that way.

But sometimes females, who are more docile, will tolerate it, if there is enough space.

thanks for advice. I really just plan on having only one tortoise anyways.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Well my Tallula is female, I've had her for 6 months, and she's 5yrs old. She is not yet 4inches, she lovely. She is very friendly, loves people and she has such a great personality !!!!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
thefnshow66, Russians are more than likely the smaller of the readily available torts with the exception of the Egyptian. Though Egyptians can run a rather hefty price tag. Jordanians and other T.g. Graeca will get to be about 6-7 inches for a male with females slightly larger.
Not to mention all torts should have time outside. And either a Russian or a Greek (t.g.Graeca) will need some room.
Where are you located? USA city-state or contry?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If your looking for a Russian, I highly suggest Shelly. She has been raising and breeding only Russians for many years. I have on several occasions gone to her home and the animals are all bright, healthy, active and well cared for. Her email is: [email protected].

thefnshow66

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the replies and links.Well i ended up talking to Egyptiandan and he helped me decide on getting a dalmation Hermann. They seem like very lovely tortoises that don't get big and I think I'll be very happy with my new friend. Any tips for a first timer on keeping tortoises?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Read as much as you can, and then read some more. Have your enclosure all ready to go before you get the tort, but be prepared to make changes as you learn more about your tort's likes&dislikes, needs (such as for the water dish accessibility), etc. Have a vet on call and set up an appointment for the first week you get it, regardless of the tort's history. Have a fecal done for parasites twice, several months apart. And, don't stress about things you don't have control over. Best of luck and congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.