Why my Russians are never outside without cover...hawks

surfergirl

can a hawk p/u a full grown Russian? I always kept my sully covered when he was smaller than 12". We have never had any varmin bother him or try to get in his house. we have hawks, falcons and some large owls here. This spring will be the first time out for my Hermann and Russians since I have had them. not sure what the previous owner/owners did. I was planning on just using some hog wire or smaller square wire during the nights to make sure no varmants can bother them but this make s me think I may need to keep it covered all the time. I use pond netting for my koi- will that work to keep birds and other varmin out?

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeastern US
I've read a red tailed hawk can carry a 1.6 lb prey a short distance, my Russian male is 600 gms, that is under 1.6, so I'm not taking any chances! We have seen several birds in the yard taken (like this poor morning dove in photo) by Cooper's hawks and Red Tailed Hawks here.
Better safe than sorry.
This hawk flew in, grabbed the dove, killed it and then flew off with it in tow in less than 4 minutes....
I happened to be in house when the pair hit the window wrestling.
It was FAST.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hawks are awesome, but i keep the littlest torts covered when out side also. When they are above 4 or 5 inches i relax and let them roam more.

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
Yes, Hawks ARE awesome. Beautiful birds, and they have to eat too. Just not our tortoises. It was hard to watch this guy take the dove. But the hawk was gorgeous.

surfergirl

Well a wire top all the time it is...I am not taking any chances cause my smallest ones are just over 4" at 280 gr. I would rather be safe than horrified by this happening to them.

weldorNate

10 Year Member!
North Dakota
I don't cover mine just cap the corners and have lots of hawks flying around and near my yard

turtlemanfla88

I cover everything with hardware cloth even my snapping turtles, softshellsetc. In FLA I have Hawks during the days and owls at night and a lot of people forget about owls and just think about raccoons at night.