Will it stress him out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben2684

5 Year Member
I live in a flat, and although Terence has short periods of time out in the garden it isn't always practical for him to be out there as I'm not allowed to put up any kind of enclosure... My manager has kindly said that I can put one up in the garden at work, so I was thinking a run about 5 by 4 foot, I'd be able to check on him every few hours or so but it would mean about three whole days of natural sunlight a week, especially now that the weather is finally getting better here in the UK. I would however have to transport him to and from work with me, a car journey of 5 minutes each way.would this be too stressful?? Thoughts appreciated 😃

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think at first he would be a little freaked out. However, I think as time goes on he will get used to it. Also once he got to the enclosure, I'm sure he'll get over it fairly quickly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, not as long as you carry him in a stable, dark and small container. He will soon get used to the moving.

Minority1

5 Year Member
Are you transporting the actual enclosure along with the tortoise everyday? Or are you planning on bringing the tortoise via small container?

Honestly either way it's only a 5-10 minute trip, that's less an average soaking. The only problem I can think of is transporting the tortoise during the night, big concern there.

ben2684

5 Year Member
I have a small enclosed carrier that I would transport him in, I'm pleased that this will be okay as I'm sure the pros will outweigh the cons as he'll have hours of proper sun each week! Also as I work with young adults with learning disabilities both my manager and I hope to include the guys in looking after him, kind of like a project :)

No the enclosure will stay where it is and he would be brought home to his table every evening (whilst its still light) I was thinking if I put his carrier in the enclosure as his hide then if he has gone to sleep by the time I finish I can just close the door and lift him out.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I transport my Russians to a friends house about 20 minutes away each year when I go on vacation. I just put them in separate plastic bins with tall enough sides that they can't climb out. Then I talk to them during the drive. They don't enjoy the drive but they do adjust quickly upon arrival. When they arrive give them some quiet time to relax and then put their favorite snack in front of them.

I've never needed to drive them anywhere on a consistent basis; so I'm not sure about the long term adjustment. Can you minimize the number of trips by allowing them to spend the night at the work place?

ben2684

5 Year Member
I guess it's a possibility but if I'm honest I'd rather bring him home with me, as there wouldn't be anyone around over night. it won't be every day, I'll aim for 3 times a week. I think every day would be too much!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Personally, I would do every day. The best for them is outside. Maybe if you want, do the three days and see how he adjust. Then if he seems okay, do it every day. You will probably find him not likening being home as he would rather be outside.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Give it a few tests runs...some torts stress horribly and others do just fine....so guess a few test runs will tell all :D

ben2684

5 Year Member
Well, the journey didn't seem to stress him at all!! Once arriving in his new outdoor house he promptly ate nearly a whole dandelion plant and then shut his eyes and soaked up the sun... So good to see. And the journey home seemed to not bother him either :) thanks for all the advice

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Yay I'm glad he enjoyed himself :) I think it's a great idea if you don't have a place to normally let him out, I'm sure he will get used to it and probably start jumping into his carrier lol

Status
Not open for further replies.