Will she be alright?

Tijjer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Wasn't so sure where to put this but I thought it may develop into a health problem (god I hope it doesn't). Anyhow I caught my Angie this morning eating one of her bedding (a woodchip thingy) from ZooMeds Forest Floor bedding and was just wondering if she'll be alright or if I should see about telling her vet about it (which I think might do anyways).

Also yes she eats very well! She likes to chow down on turtle pellets, earthworms, leafy greens, strawberries, carrots (have to mix it in along with leafy greens), and fresh tomatoes from garden (no we don't use any pesticides or dangerous chemicals, plus they are washed off when brought in).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can buy a product made by Sticky Tongue Farms - Miner-all. It is a calcium/mineral supplement and helps when tortoises are eating their substrate.

In the meantime, soak the tortoise daily to be sure he's well hydrated, and the bit of bark should pass ok.

Tijjer

5 Year Member
Ohio
Where would I be able to buy this stuff at? Also yes she has been soaking daily. Every morning when she wakes up she goes straight to her water dish to soak. Also just wondering how exactly it will help?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I started using the miner-all a while back since one of my Leopards was eating his bark...he hasn't touched it since...so it does seem to help.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I buy mine from Petmountain.com. They make it with or without D3.

Tijjer

5 Year Member
Ohio
I'm still a bit confused on how it helps with her not to eat her substrate.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
tortoises who eat substrate are often lacking something in their diet. The product help them get what they are lacking so they no longer need to eat the substrate. General rule of thumb for tortoises if they can eat it they can pass it.