Will this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grasspack

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
Hello,

Just introduced myself and my daughter a few days ago and now I have a question. We will be getting in the very soon future(we hope) a Hermanns, russian, or Greek. I was looking around my barn yesterday and I have a brand new Rubbermaid stock tank....that is 53x31x25....Would that make a good indoor enclosure? Pros and cons? I am not sure how my husband is going to like having a stock tank in the dining room, but maybe I can dress it up a bit:) Thanks so much. Isn't it amazing at how you start looking at everything as a possible enclosure:)

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I think it would work well. Just like the sterilite/rubbermaid bins I get excited about when I go to Target, but bigger which is great.

LindaF

5 Year Member
Now you just have to make it pretty. My hubby had the same problem with a rubbermaid bin in the dining room so eventually we "up graded" to a tort table in the living room. :)

grasspack

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Thanks....just wanted to check before I start setting it up....I think I will put it in the dining room today to see what I get for a reaction when he gets home:) He usually just rolls his eyes and keeps on moving:) Sometimes he says..."What exactly are you going to put in there?"

Thanks again

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I've used the same size stock tanks for keeping other types of reptiles and amphibians outdoors. The only drawback for tortoises might be the depth of the container. They're going to be way down in there unless you add about a foot of substrate or some kind of a false bottom. Doesn't make for great viewing or interaction.
But the tanks are great and just about bulletproof! I've been using some of the shorter ones for turtles for many years now both indoors and out.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I used a stock tank for my Hingebacks for a couple of years, before I ended up with more than would comfortably fit in one - and it worked great.

As far as dressing it up - get some sticky velcro, and an attractive print material. Hem the edges of the material and make "drapes" to fit the side of the tank. Stitch the velcro to the material, stick the other side of the velcro to the tank, and wa-la! You have sucessfully, and literally, ( ;) ) dressed it up :D

grasspack

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Thanks....I thought I would try and get my husband to build a table to put it on....so it would be up in the air a bit. Thanks for the ideas of dressing it up a bit. Thought I might hot glue some tacky plastic flowers on it:) I am lacking in artistic ability:) Thanks again everyone.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
You could always give it a quick spray of paint, I would go with a flat lustre. A lighter color might make it look less like what it is. I think those tanks are great and last a long time.

-ryan-

5 Year Member
I used to use a rubbermaid stock tank with 10-12" of just plain old dirt. They are tiered, so the floor space at the bottom is actually much much smaller than the size of the enclosure, but if you get them up about a foot the tank widens out a bit. Plus, they like having all that dirt to dig in, and that was the setup I used when I first started breeding them (and discovered that they need a surprising amount of depth of dirt to lay eggs).

Good luck, and post pics!

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
grasspack said:
Hello,

Just introduced myself and my daughter a few days ago and now I have a question. We will be getting in the very soon future(we hope) a Hermanns, russian, or Greek. I was looking around my barn yesterday and I have a brand new Rubbermaid stock tank....that is 53x31x25....Would that make a good indoor enclosure? Pros and cons? I am not sure how my husband is going to like having a stock tank in the dining room, but maybe I can dress it up a bit:) Thanks so much. Isn't it amazing at how you start looking at everything as a possible enclosure:)

Welcome to the life of owning a tortoise. You start looking at EVERYTHING differently. If not for an enclosure, for a hide, for decoration, etc... :D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
They have a paint spray that comes in "rock texture". All different kinds and colors. I've seen pictures of someone's enclosure who did that...forgot where...and it really looked beautiful.

grasspack

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
That's a great idea....I really don't mind having a stock tank in my dining room, but I am just waiting to see my Mother's reaction when she comes to dinner the next time:) I see her wiping dust off the tv when she is here(when she thinks I am not looking:) I went and got the windex and told her if she was going to clean to please clean it properly:) I love my mom....she washed every window, mirror, and stailess steel appliance that day:)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
try the stock tanks for Sheep. they are not as deep.
Once you get the substrate in it.. it might be quite heavy, so put it on rollers or like where you put it!

Status
Not open for further replies.