Will You Help With My School Work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottinghamshire, UK
Its more of a discussion I have to do, and I thought what a better way to get answers then on a forum with thousands of people!

What I want you to answer is:
Are you for or against children being allowed contraception under the legal age of 16 and why!

My second bit is to do with melanoma (deadliest skin cancer) caused by sunbeds mainly. I have to do a presentation of my choice and I chose this... I have done 8 slides but doesnt seem enough, I have looked on internet but obviously 4 eyes are better then 2 so if you find anything please post it and then ill see if i can use it!

What im mainly looking for is statistics:
EG in 2008 75 women eat cakes every day in 2010 only 50 eat cakes everyday!

That make sence?
Dont trouble yourself... As it is not that important!

Thanks guys
xx

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
I like the question. It reminds me of my old philosophy a level class - ponder anything and everything untill your brain aches!

Well, i think i am on the fence. Here are my reasons! Underage sex is illegal, but the reality is that many people, especially those in large urban areas, will have had sex before 16. So, if these people are going around using no contracepttion then sooner or later most the girls will wind up pregnant. And life will be difficult with a small child. Statistically, a child born to a woman 16 or under is more likely to do the same thing, leave school at 16, and end up working in Asda. Now i'm all for breaking statistics and i completely understand that statistics can be flawed and often broken :p . On the other hand, if you say, 'sure 13 year old daughter, ill take you to get the pill so you can have underage sex' this is going to promote bad values and morals in society. Its like saying, here are the rules and laws, but sure, just go and break them. Perhaps the best approach is to say, "well i dont think you have thought about this....maybe wait a year....". I know that my ex-boyfriends mum put some condoms in his bottom draw when he was 16, and said 'i am not promoting casual sex, but if your going to do it, then you need to use precations'. And 4 years later, when i fell pregnant, she actually said to him 'this is what happens when you choose to look at the box and ignore my advice'. So to conclude, if my daughter came to me at 14, and asked for the pill, i would give her a speach about self respect, but then march her straight down to the health centre. I hope that answers your question...

S

stells

Yes i do think children under the legal age should be given contraception... yes they shouldn't "do it" under that age... but it happens... and it would help to reduce the number of teenage pregnancies we have in this country... i was 17 when i had my first... but to be honest it could have happened as young as 14 for me... i was young and stupid and also VERY lucky...

I now have a 13 year old son... at that age they are now very sexually aware... esp with sex education being given at a very young age (to young if you ask me)... even though i know he hasn't done that kind of thing YET... my worst fear is that he could... and get some young girl pregnant.... at that age you can also discuss it with them until you are blue in the face... will they take notice... probably not.... it is worth a try but teenagers are odd creatures lol

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
Should contraception be given to children under the illegal age to have sex at under 16!

That better?
xx

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I agree with Brooke and Kelly.

I talked to my kids about sex when they asked the questions during adolescence. I stressed that one should be in a long term committed relationship or married to have sex, and that it wasn't just a pleasurable physical release but an awkward, painfully intimate experience that you don't want to go through with someone you don't know very well and trust completely...scared the crap out of them by telling the girls that oral sex (which seemed to be a fad "rite of passage" among middle school girls) could give you herpes blisters or venereal warts...on your face! Told my older son that if he got a girl pregnant, she would be the one with control of the choices: abortion, adoption, keeping it, and he would be on the hook not just for the financial obligation, but for a lifelong emotional responsibility because it would be his child!

So far, so good. The girls went on the pill to help their complexions, but also IF they decide to be sexually active, they won't bring an innocent third party into the consequences of their own reckless actions...:(

Tanning beds (as we call "sunbeds") are dangerous and deceptively convenient...my oldest daughter used them, and I kept nagging and putting newspaper articles on her desk or breakfast plate or car mirror...she ignored me, but when her boyfriend went to an appointment of his own and saw an anti-tanning bed ad on the TV in the waiting room, he insisted she stop, and she did! :rolleyes:

Here are a couple links I found that you can summarize on your slides:

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/content/NWS_1_1x_tanning_Beds_May_Increase_Skin_Cancer_Risk.asp

http://www.skincancer.org/International-Study-Links-Tanning-Beds-to-Melanoma.html

Happy homework! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.