Here is what im going to plant.
2011-09-05_11-35-42_142.jpg

And here is where its going.
2011-09-05_11-34-13_702.jpg

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
We did cabbage last year and they were huge... Looks like your planting all the good stuff...

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
i'm sure that the space is over planted so ill cull out stuff to feed the torts as it grows. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens, this if the first time i have ever planted a winter garden.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just bought a bunch of seeds online and received them Friday. I've started tilling in decomposed horse manure and aerating my old garden bed and I hope I'll be ready to plant by the 15th. Hopefully I'll be able to harvest quite a bit of greens before the frost. Once the little plantlets get to be about 4" tall, I start cutting off the tops with the scissors. This doesn't kill the plant, and allows a longer harvest/growing time. This is also my first time planting so late in the year. My spring time lettuces turned quite bitter as the weather got hot. The tortoises still ate it, but it really was bitter.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Jealoussss.... All I grow in the winter is impatient waiting for the snow to melt! ;)

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I'm still finishing out the summer with my squash, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, and chili peppers, though the cucumber is starting to look really tired. I grew mesclun, lettuce and peas for most of the winter, but we don't get very cold. I have a couple of extra beds this year, so we're going all out and growing all kinds of things, once it cools down enough to do the winter planting. Squash, melon, beans, whatever. Worst case is it won't grow. So far I've had great luck growing things when they're not supposed to grow. The lettuce and greens grew much better in the winter than they've ever grown for me in the spring. I'm really spoiled by living here I think.

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
Wow! I planted on Monday anson have germination in every row! The beats have red showing and green sprouts coming up! This is going to be fun. Now I just have to look out for bugs, snails and slugs!

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Don't forget the collards! They are very cold hardy and provide excellent nutrition. They will survive through the winter in most areas.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Awesome! I don't have much trouble with bugs, probably because we have a lot of jays and mourning doves visiting in the morning. I hope your bugs stay away.

I'll have to remember about the collard greens when I start planting greens. I'll have a bed opening up this weekend, but it's still too hot to plant greens. Going to start with cantaloupe and winter squash.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
AnthonyC said:
Jealoussss.... All I grow in the winter is impatient waiting for the snow to melt! ;)

:D!

Never heard of a winter garden. Best we can do here is a fall one and only things that grow and produce is a short time.

Status
Not open for further replies.