Winter in Nashville...help

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredmyyster

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Corpus Christi, Texas
Howdy everyone ! I havent been on for some time but i have a question i hope someone or several would help to answer. I live in Corpus Christi Tx now but am looking at re-locating to the Nashville area. I have 3 adult Sulcata's, 1 Redfoot who all live outdoors and have tortoise ( dog ) houses with Osborne mat heaters which keeps them warm in winter. My question to you is, what kind quality of life would they have in TN given the same houses and heaters with the short summers of the state ?
Answer here or if you prefer.. fredmyyster@yahoo,com
Thank you so much for you time ! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just as good as there if you can afford to heat their houses. There are lots of us in the even colder/more snowy states then Tennessee that do just fine. It's harder and more costly, but if you can afford to heat, then you don't have any worries.

fredmyyster

5 Year Member
Corpus Christi, Texas
wellington said:
Just as good as there if you can afford to heat their houses. There are lots of us in the even colder/more snowy states then Tennessee that do just fine. It's harder and more costly, but if you can afford to heat, then you don't have any worries.

Awesome, thank you !

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I have not lived in the Nashville area, but I am certain that sulcatas could be given a good quality of life in that climate. Now, given the same houses and heaters that you have now there is just no way to predict the outcome. Your houses and heaters may keep the tortoises comfy at night and during the winter, but not knowing how they are constructed I don't know what to tell you. If you decide to move your tortoises you may be faced with building a new house and adding more heat. There are Forum Members that live in even colder climates than Nashville and keep there tortoises outside. The ones that I have seen here seem to do very well.

turtletortoisefarmer

5 Year Member
hi fredmyyster i live about a hour from nashville on ky side. i have a sully and a red foot and some water turtles.i am planning on my sully having her own room for the winter.as she gets older i will have a out building insulated and heated with a outside door.my biggest fear is tornados.so i kind of like them near me.i have a basement and i plan on taken as many as i can down to the basement.so i think you will be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.