Winter shelter for large sully.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
I have an approx. 50lb sully that stayed in my room last winter because I didn't have time to build him a shelter. If anyone has any suggestions on what would do well for him. I'm looking for anything low budget... I just took on 2 stray kittens and am in the middle of getting their shots and spay/neuter done. I live in south east Georgia

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Here is what I do:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-effective-night-box.86632/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

Cheap is such a subjective term. For me owning and caring for a giant tortoise is not a "cheap" thing. Caring for a russian could be done much more cheaply. The tortoise needs what it needs, and sulcatas need warm temps year round. Spending money on insulation and building properly initially will save you lots of money on electricity down the road and give your tortoise a much better environment.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
That's what I figured. I know they aren't cheap, I've had 2 of them for almost 2.5 years. One is still small enough to be indoors. The timing is just bad with the kittens being here. I just wasn't looking to spend a massive amount of money for a shed or something.

M

Maggie Cummings

Some people use a Tupperware shed or toolbox and attach lights and heat and make it for a tort. Sounds easy enough to me. I live in the PNW with a 150 pound Sulcata who lives in a heated and insulated 20'x12' shed that stays 85 degrees even with snow on the ground. Bob is big enough to go into the snow or rain on his own, then he has a 200 watt basking bulb to warm him up....

tortoiseforum.org/threads/bobs-shed.20710/

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
For a 50 pounder, (in a pinch), a 55 gallon barrel wrapped with a type of flexible insulation and sealed to help keep the insulation dry, with one end open and the barrel laying on it's side, a flap type door and a heat source, either in the barrel or on the outside under the insulation, should work for southeast Georgia weather. This will give you time to build a more proper long term house as the funds become available. I am several hundred miles north of you (near Wash DC) and my sulcatas stay outside and they will come out every day and wander around and when they get cold or fill up on food they go back inside to warm up. Very low barometric pressure is the one thing that will keep them from coming out, cold temps don't. Good Luck.

M

Maggie Cummings

For a 50 pounder, (in a pinch), a 55 gallon barrel wrapped with a type of flexible insulation and sealed to help keep the insulation dry, with one end open and the barrel laying on it's side, a flap type door and a heat source, either in the barrel or on the outside under the insulation, should work for southeast Georgia weather. This will give you time to build a more proper long term house as the funds become available. I am several hundred miles north of you (near Wash DC) and my sulcatas stay outside and they will come out every day and wander around and when they get cold or fill up on food they go back inside to warm up. Very low barometric pressure is the one thing that will keep them from coming out, cold temps don't. Good Luck.

That barrel idea is a really good one...