Won't use new shelter

Chief

5 Year Member
My tortoise wil not go to his new heated shelter on his own. If I put him in it he seems to like it and will spend the night. However, he won't go there on his own. I blocked off access to an area in my yard where he likes to sleep under a covered paddleboard. I thought given no choice he would go to the new shelter, but instead he went to sleep under my avocado tree. The other afternoon it was raining so I went to put him in the shelter thinking he would stay there. He warmed up and left for his favorite spot. I want to provide him with a warm and dry shelter, but he won't cooperate. Also, as he gets heavier I won't be able to move him. He was found wandering the street a year ago and nobody claimed him, so I kept him. Maybe he is not used to lying on a pig blanket and prefers roughing it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You just have to keep putting him in there. Is it possible, electrical outlet-wise, to move the heated shelter over to the spot he prefers?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yvonne's suggestion is what has worked best for me. Move the box to the spot where he wants to be.

In time, most of them will learn to go there if you just keep putting them in there at dusk. I have had good success by making a small penned area with cinder blocks around the entrance of the night box and putting them in this small 8-10' "enclosure at whatever time they normally want to retire. If its only a small circle with no cover, and the only place to go is in the box, they will learn it. Once you get them to actually walk in on their own you are mostly done. Gradually make the small circle around the door larger so they have to walk from farther away to get in. Eventually, they should go in on their own.

I've had some that just refused for months, but I ended up being more stubborn than them. All of mine now go in on their own.

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Does the pig mat cover the whole shelter or does he have room to get away from it?

Chief

5 Year Member
Thanks for the responses. He does have room to get away from the pig mat. I'm going to try making a pen with the cinder blocks. Sounds like a really good idea. If that doesn't work I'll move the shelter to the area he likes best. I was glad to hear these guys can be stubborn. I will post an update once I see how he reacts.

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
It took mine about a week and a half to start going in his box by himself. I close him in at night though. So I'd just open it in the morning and when he snuggled up near his ramp in the evening I would put him in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The idea is, you gotta get them to walk in on their own, even if you have to start them halfway in the box at first. The next night start them only a quarter in the box. Then just outside the door, but on the ramp, etc...

If you wait too long they will sometimes not be active enough and will just sit there. If you do it too early they might go in and come back out.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
If you plan to put cement blocks, make sure you stack them into 2-3 rows, depending on the size of your tort. If he can see the other side, he just may ram it to get out, that is, if he's as stubborn as you think.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
I agree with everyone. My biggest, bowser, did not want to go in his box after we covered his burrow up. But after about 2 weeks of putting him in the box right before dusk, he will now go in by himself. There are a few occasions where I'll find him bedded down under a bush or by the fence. But I always make sure he's in his box before dark.