Witch one?

CharlieS2020

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Hello there I hope you all are enjoying your day so far. Last night I changed my tortoise substrate and changed the layout a bit. My dad helped me and was a little concerned with changing it. The main thing we changed is we took out the built in hide. I found she wasn’t use if it as much and some people on here have told me to take it out to give Charlie more room to walk. I’m not an expert so if you could help me I want to know in you opinion wich cage layout looks better for a year old eastern Hermann tortoise. You may also see that we added some plexi glass to the top this is so it will be more humid in the cage. Here are the two cages side bye side let me know witch one would be better.image.jpgimage.jpg
orCA0B0758-941F-402A-96DA-69F5DFF11373.pngthanks to enyone who helps!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's hard for me to get the perspective. Can you stand back a bit from the enclosures so we can see the whole thing?

CharlieS2020

Ontario
It's hard for me to get the perspective. Can you stand back a bit from the enclosures so we can see the whole thing?
oh sorry i dient mention i only had one photo of the secound option but i couldent find it and this is the only one i could get. also do you think i should add the biult in hide back in even though she dident use it. i think how it is now gives her more walking room.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No. I think removing that built in hide cover was a good move.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd connect the two and use both.

The coir needs to be dampened and hand packed.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Great that you have taken on board the advice.
I think it's better without the built in hide but the substrate looks too dry.
You can spray it or pour some water in and hand mix it - moist not soaking wet - and adding a layer of fine orchid bark will help with the humidity and make it less messy.
Do you have a digital thermometer/hygrometer (the sort with a probe)?
That will help you make sure the temps and humidity are as recommended on the caresheet.
What are you using for heat?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
It looks to me like you need to add a lot more substrate. It looks like there's only maybe an inch of it? 3 or 4 inches would be better.

I agree he has more space to walk. Where does he sleep? In the log hide?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Tom. If you actually have two enclosures join them together. If you only have the one and removed the built in hide, yes that's the better way.
Keep in mind this enclosure will only last a year or two and will have to be bigger.

CharlieS2020

Ontario
Great that you have taken on board the advice.
I think it's better without the built in hide but the substrate looks too dry.
You can spray it or pour some water in and hand mix it - moist not soaking wet - and adding a layer of fine orchid bark will help with the humidity and make it less messy.
Do you have a digital thermometer/hygrometer (the sort with a probe)?
That will help you make sure the temps and humidity are as recommended on the caresheet.
What are you using for heat?
ive got the right heat people ont he fourm helped me out and im gonna get a thamomitar soon.

CharlieS2020

Ontario
I agree with Tom. If you actually have two enclosures join them together. If you only have the one and removed the built in hide, yes that's the better way.
Keep in mind this enclosure will only last a year or two and will have to be bigger.
i know we are going to biuld a new bigger one in a year and i will probly get advice from the fourm.

CharlieS2020

Ontario
It looks to me like you need to add a lot more substrate. It looks like there's only maybe an inch of it? 3 or 4 inches would be better.

I agree he has more space to walk. Where does he sleep? In the log hide?
i have the right amount of substrate and she makes holes and sleeps under the log a lot or will hide in the plants. she also loves to hide herself under the mulch!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
i know we are going to biuld a new bigger one in a year and i will probly get advice from the fourm.
If you can get hold of a decent sized, second hand, book case you can remove the shelves and lay it flat then line it with a shower curtain. You may have to raise the sides so that you can have deep enough substrate for him to dig in and cap the edges and corners to stop him climbing out, but it's a cheap way of making a bigger enclosure.
Then maybe get a mini portable greenhouse to go over it to hang lamps from and to help control temps and humidity.
Something to consider for when you are ready.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
i know i plan to make it wet tonight. but what two cages? im gonna make a bigger cage in a year.
Not wet - moist - and check your temps carefully.
Right temps +humidity = healthy tort
Too cold + humidity = sick tort

CharlieS2020

Ontario
You said: "Here are the two cages side by side".

You don't need a bigger cage in a year. You need one now.
oh okay for the two cages i ment the decor and the setup i dont have two difrent cages.

CharlieS2020

Ontario
Not wet - moist - and check your temps carefully.
Right temps +humidity = healthy tort
Too cold + humidity = sick tort
yeah i jsut got my temp thing a few days ago and the humidity in the day is around 60 and at at night 70 ish. is that good and on the cool side the temps are around 80 and under the ehat lamp its 90-100 and in the middle its around 90.