Won’t Eat

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba Canada ??
I have had my Russian tortoise for a few days now and she’s not eating at all. I was told she only eats romaine lettuce , which she won’t touch, and she won’t try spring mix, dandelions, or anything else . She’d never had a hide and I bought one for her and all she wants to do is stay in it. As soon as I put her in her enclosure she makes a beeline for it. I’ve had her grazing outside as well but she doesn’t show any interest. I just want her to start eating something and then I can work on introducing her to different foods. Any suggestions are appreciated

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I have had my Russian tortoise for a few days now and she’s not eating at all. I was told she only eats romaine lettuce , which she won’t touch, and she won’t try spring mix, dandelions, or anything else . She’d never had a hide and I bought one for her and all she wants to do is stay in it. As soon as I put her in her enclosure she makes a beeline for it. I’ve had her grazing outside as well but she doesn’t show any interest. I just want her to start eating something and then I can work on introducing her to different foods. Any suggestions are appreciated
Totally normal. Mine didn’t eat for almost two weeks and took months to settle in.

How old is it, where did you get it (rescue, breeder, pet store, etc), and can you describe or provide pics of your enclosure? The pople
Here can help advise you better.

This is a good starter article. It’s really dense but has good info:

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
Totally normal. Mine didn’t eat for almost two weeks and took months to settle in.

How old is it, where did you get it (rescue, breeder, pet store, etc), and can you describe or provide pics of your enclosure? The pople

I was told she’s around two years old but don’t have much info on her. She was in a small enclosure with a bigger Russian. I bought him from an online ad, I don’t think the owner had her for long
I have another tortoise but hadn’t had a problem with him not eating when I got him. Thanks for your reply :)

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Tortoise take time to settle they hate change and love a routine. Persevere as he is in your care now. Check the doc for heat, light, substrate, diet and ask questions here. Provide food AM daily and replenish fresh water twice daily with food removed pm and overnight. They soon learn to eat when it is there. Soaking in warm shallow water in a high sided container is very beneficial to bond and hydrate your new shelled warrior. Enjoy

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
Tortoise take time to settle they hate change and love a routine. Persevere as he is in your care now. Check the doc for heat, light, substrate, diet and ask questions here. Provide food AM daily and replenish fresh water twice daily with food removed pm and overnight. They soon learn to eat when it is there. Soaking in warm shallow water in a high sided container is very beneficial to bond and hydrate your new shelled warrior. Enjoy
Thanks very much. I think her environment
Is set up properly since from where I’d gotten her , the first few days she stayed in her hut. Now she’s out and about, I was concerned with her diet and thought I’d add other food gradually so was worrying that she wasn’t eating at all. I have been asking questions on the forum and reading.
I will follow your advice ,I’ll just have food in her enclosure in the morning and will take it out in the pm and overnight, and go from there. :)

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
Thanks very much. I think her environment
Is set up properly since from where I’d gotten her , the first few days she stayed in her hut. Now she’s out and about, I was concerned with her diet and thought I’d add other food gradually so was worrying that she wasn’t eating at all. I have been asking questions on the forum and reading.
I will follow your advice ,I’ll just have food in her enclosure in the morning and will take it out in the pm and overnight, and go from there. :)
Ok now she’s decided to eat as of this morning. I’d takemthe food out as you suggested and she at right away when I put it on her slate for her. She tried a few pieces of spring mix, and plantain . 👍🏻