Won'leave her hut

TuluhlaTheTortoise

My Russian only comes out of her hut for about 10 minutes a day and then just hides for the rest, why is this?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
How do you house the tortoise? Inside, outside...what is your overall set up....what is the temp gradient in the enclosure? How long have you had the tortoise.?

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hi. Can you post pictures? How old is your tortoise?

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

TuluhlaTheTortoise

How do you house the tortoise? Inside, outside...what is your overall set up....what is the temp gradient in the enclosure? How long have you had the tortoise.?
I got her five days ago, she's in a terrarium 2' 4' with 85 hot end75 cool end, inside I took her out and let her roam in my room now she's right back in there

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Habitat is way too small for that size Russian tortoise. They need about 8 or 10 times as much room as that aquarium is providing. Also he needs fresh greens, not those manufactured fruity pebbles. As far as he's concerned, there's nothing to come out of hiding for...nothing to live for.

TuluhlaTheTortoise

A larger enclosure isn't an option at the time, I'm aware of the greens issure I just haven't been able to get to the store and I do take her out to walk around outside the enclosure, I have soaked her 2 days ago as well I plan to feed her mustard and collerd greens Timothy hay and ocationally carrot, plus dust it with calcium d3 powder, I will include the pebbles in small quanities to provide some vitamins

TuluhlaTheTortoise

Habitat is way too small for that size Russian tortoise. They need about 8 or 10 times as much room as that aquarium is providing. Also he needs fresh greens, not those manufactured fruity pebbles. As far as he's concerned, there's nothing to come out of hiding for...nothing to live for.
What yor saying is 8 to 10 as big, so what she's in now is 4' 2' so that's an unreasonable amount of space

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry - I didn't realize that was 4' long. The minimum size for a russian tortoise of your tortoise's size would be 8'x4'. Of course, outside would be much better. That is an adult tortoise and probably wild caught. He has gone from being free and being able to wander over great distances to being kept in a small, confined space. This is very hard and quite stressful on tortoises. That's why he's staying inside the hiding place.

TuluhlaTheTortoise

She cannot be an adult, because I have seen her at the pet store since she was much smaller, but if your sure I'll look into possibly building a 4' 8' table, but that will have to be in the rather distant future, is it detrimental to her health to not get her in a bigger enclosure,

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
He has gone from being free and being able to wander over great distances to being kept in a small, confined space. This is very hard and quite stressful on tortoises. That's why he's staying inside the hiding place.

Agree. Also agree that this is an adult Russian....the size clearly shows that....the shell clearly points to wild caught as well...also, if you have only had the tort for 5 days, that is was too little time to expect the tortoise to learn to adjust to the confinement....I would wean the tort off of the fruity pebbles....I know sometimes getting to the store is a journey...but you need to appreciate the journey that this little tort has likely gone through....not really fair to discard the responsibility for a trip to the store for food....just saying is all.

TuluhlaTheTortoise

Understandable, by couldn't make it to the store I meant that I couldn't that day. I have picked up greens and she ate all of what I put in there, I'm not familiar with it so can you explane how to tell its wild caught? She has started not being in her hut she's been in her water bowl and has basked for hours so I believe she is starting warm up to her new life, I am duster her food with calcium too, as for the pebbles Im reducing the amount she has and I just replaced them with a.baby carrot, she only ate a few of the pebbles and was more focused on the fresh stuff, thanks for your advice!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Sounds like the food improvement has been well received.

Regarding your enclosure, for adult Russians, I prefer an open top tortoise table which allow more opportunity for expansion both outward and upward. I find that adding a ramp and a second story gives the tortoise a good chance to get additional exercise and makes the exploration much more interesting. When you can see your entire domain from the hide then there's no reason to move other than food. Russians are explorers and very territorial; just try putting 2 together. (Warning: do not put 2 together they will try to dominate one another).

So, browse thru the enclosure section and see what great ideas can be implemented using a minimal amount of space. Remember Russians are both diggers and climbers; do not build short walls, 12" tall at a minimum.

Also, please consider getting your Russian outdoor time to provide natural sun. A partly shaded area will work best.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.